Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Runner interference - WCWS last game, last play

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Crabby_Bob » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 am

MTR wrote:
Given the split-second call being made, this is INT. F3 is allowed to change direction when fielding a ball.

No, not always. She must be playing the ball. She literally moved away from the ball to make the contact. I have no problem the umpires made an INT call, that is what I would have expected in this tournament. However, I wouldn't have had a problem if they went the other way, as such a call could be equally argued without the stretch people are trying to make to justify it. Of course, if OBS was ruled, it simple would have been a strike since it was most likely going to be a foul ball.

While I agree with an OBS call, I'm curious about ruling the result of this play a strike. F3 clearly touches the ball when it's on the fair line. Of course, I cannot presume that PU would have ruled a fair ball here but that seems more likely. Thoughts?
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by MTR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:56 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:While I agree with an OBS call, I'm curious about ruling the result of this play a strike. F3 clearly touches the ball when it's on the fair line. Of course, I cannot presume that PU would have ruled a fair ball here but that seems more likely. Thoughts?

Yep, she took it right off the line. I would like to think that if the BR is by F3 on a ball heading toward the line, she would be smart enough to let it go foul, hence the strike. That is why I said it would most likely be a strike. Of course, I could be wrong and F3 might have played the ball and given the BR 1B if it is ruled fair.
MTR

by AlwaysImprove » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:49 pm

I watched the replay again. I do not think there is enough evidence to overrule the call on the field.

That said, I have a follow up question. Let's say a right handed F3 playing a ball on the line is to run up to the ball and circle to her right, inside part of the field to set up to reach down for the ball with her right hand and a quick throw to one. By rule she has the right to move to the inside of the ball to make this play, correct?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:25 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:I watched the replay again. I do not think there is enough evidence to overrule the call on the field.

That said, I have a follow up question. Let's say a right handed F3 playing a ball on the line is to run up to the ball and circle to her right, inside part of the field to set up to reach down for the ball with her right hand and a quick throw to one. By rule she has the right to move to the inside of the ball to make this play, correct?

As long as she is playing the ball, sure. If you watch all the replays ESPN3 offered, I think one of the most telling is the shot from the LCF area as you see her brace up and lead, yes lead, with the shoulder as she took a step away from the the ball (prev replay sequence). If the BR saw it and could have avoided the contact, I think F3 may have ended up on the ground and the ball roll foul.

However, the umpires didn't have slow motion frame-by-frame review and 4 days to look at it. I think if either of those umpires came up with an OBS call, they would haven't had any problem getting respect for that call. Anybody can call what seems to be the obvious.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner