Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Just suppose ...

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:20 am

As often as we see Coaches disagree with a call or an interpitation of a rule ... And as evidenced by this board we know that not all calls and interpitations by the Blues are correct all the time ... what do you Blues do when you disagree 100%, without a doubt with your partners call ? ... does it matter to you whether you are BU or PU ? Are you going to tell s/he how wrong they got it if you are on the bases or just bite your tongue ? Would it matter to you whether it was a crucial call in a game or do you not even consider the calls importance or lack there of ?... Do you wait until after the game and pull out the rule book or do you just go back to the motel at the end of the day, pour a double and hope you don't get the same partner the next day?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by skahtboi » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:25 pm

Are you talking about matters of rules interpretations or judgement???
skahtboi

by Fasterpitch » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:47 pm

I think the good ones have to talk about the missed call. There seems to be some, that are in if for a low pay and do not care.
Fasterpitch

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:49 am

Just for the sake of argument, lets say rules interpretation AND judgement calls ... I have no situation in mind ... just curious
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:20 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Just for the sake of argument, lets say rules interpretation AND judgement calls ... I have no situation in mind ... just curious

Same as on eteamz. I'm not initiating a discussion with my partner. If a conversation ensues between a coach and my partner, I will make it apparent that I may have something to add.

However, it will be my partner coming to me, not me going to him.
MTR

by skahtboi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:24 pm

Issues of judgement, I have absolutely nothing to say. It was his/her judgement. Distance and angle may decieve me into thinking I saw something else besides what my partner saw. They should have the positioning and the angle to make the call correct. Do we blow them sometimes. Sure. But not as much as most of you coaches seem to think we do.

Now, if there was something that my partner might have missed, like a pulled foot or a bobbled ball, and they feel the need to ask me, then yes, I will offer my opinion. As Mike said, though, I am not initiating the conversation. They will have to come to me.
skahtboi

Return to The Umpire Corner