Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

When Does BR Become Live?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun May 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Trophy Hunter wrote:Thank you to the two umpires (Hugo and Steve) who were able to comprehend a simple question and provide a simple answer.

:lol: OK ... How did the batter reach first base ?

"After the batter/runner reaches 1b (safely), when does she become a "live" BR if she makes an attempt to advance to 2B?"

Was it a BB ? D3K ? A Swunt or a bunt ? The OP wasn't clear ... Are all situations where the batter reaches 1st base safely the same ?

With all due respect to Hugo, Steve, MTR & others who I look too often for clarifications and explainations
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by UmpSteve » Sun May 06, 2012 4:51 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Trophy Hunter wrote:Thank you to the two umpires (Hugo and Steve) who were able to comprehend a simple question and provide a simple answer.

"After the batter/runner reaches 1b (safely), when does she become a "live" BR if she makes an attempt to advance to 2B?"

Was it a BB ? D3K ? A Swunt or a bunt ? The OP wasn't clear ... Are all situations where the batter reaches 1st base safely the same ?

With all due respect to Hugo, Steve, MTR & others who I look too often for clarifications and explainations

Overthinking it, my friend. Rule section (ASA, anyway) 8-1 lists all cases where a batter becomes a batter-runner. UNLESS IT IS A DEAD BALL (hit by pitch), all batter-runners are treated equally, can legally overrun first base, etc. YES, even on a walk (another standard myth).
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun May 06, 2012 5:01 pm

UmpSteve wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Overthinking it, my friend. Rule section (ASA, anyway) 8-1 lists all cases where a batter becomes a batter-runner. UNLESS IT IS A DEAD BALL (hit by pitch), all batter-runners are treated equally, can legally overrun first base, etc. YES, even on a walk (another standard myth).

Agree again ... OP did not state how BR reached first and was looking for possibilities ... including those covered in NFHS 8-7-4 a,b,c,d,& e ... the only book I had handy ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by sofballin » Sun May 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Thank you. I got the answer I was looking for.

For some reason, I always thought that so long as the base runner didn't cross the foul line in her attempt to advance to 2B, she could not be tagged out by the defense.

I see now that the foul line does not come into play in this situation.
sofballin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 pm

While not a rule, it is often a teaching mechanic. A lot of coaches, especially baseball, teach a turn to the right is a clear and unmistakable sign to everyone that you are not making an attempt to run to second base.

Turning to the right in baseball may make some sense. Once the bases go to 90 feet getting to second base is very rare, even on an overthrow. Percentage wise you are likely better waiting for the next pitch.

In softball, IMHO, it is better to teach a turn to the left mechanic. It allows the player to get a view of the entire defense and in softball opportunities do come up where you can find a way to get to second base.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FastpitchUSA » Tue May 08, 2012 8:22 am

Turning left may be imply that the runner tried to advance. Players may want to "face" the infield instead of the fence when running through 1B.
I want it NOW!
FastpitchUSA

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner