Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

When Does BR Become Live?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by sofballin » Sat May 05, 2012 12:55 pm

After the batter/runner reaches 1b (safely), when does she become a "live" BR if she makes an attempt to advance to 2B?

Is it simply the attempt, regardless if she crosses the 1B foul line?
Or is it making an attempt to advance AND crossing the foul line?
sofballin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sat May 05, 2012 1:44 pm

sofballin wrote:After the batter/runner reaches 1b (safely), when does she become a "live" BR if she makes an attempt to advance to 2B?

Just one question. What the hell are you talking about? :P

The B becomes a BR when s/he puts the ball into play or is awarded 1B.
The BR is a player who has complete the turn at bat, but has not reached 1B or been put out.
A B is a player who has reaced 1B safely.

I have no idea why you are referencing a foul line.
MTR

by sofballin » Sat May 05, 2012 3:25 pm

MTR wrote:
sofballin wrote:After the batter/runner reaches 1b (safely), when does she become a "live" BR if she makes an attempt to advance to 2B?

Just one question. What the hell are you talking about? :P

The B becomes a BR when s/he puts the ball into play or is awarded 1B.
The BR is a player who has complete the turn at bat, but has not reached 1B or been put out.
A B is a player who has reaced 1B safely.

I have no idea why you are referencing a foul line.

Let me try this again......
After the batter crosses 1B safely, lets say the ball gets away from the first baseman, and the base runner now is thinking of advancing to 2B, but then changes his/her mind.

At what point does that base runner become live..... in other words, how far can he/she go before the defense is able to tag him/her out?

Maybe the foul line never comes into play?

Make sense now?
sofballin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by HugoTafurst » Sat May 05, 2012 4:11 pm

I think your use of the word "live" may also be part of the confusion... but either way the answer is that the foul line is immaterial.
ASA 8-7-H
"...When the batter-runner legally overruns first and attempts to run to second......"

The umpire's judgement of attempting to run to second is what puts the batter-runner in jeopardy.
HugoTafurst

by Trophy Hunter » Sat May 05, 2012 6:18 pm

The confusion may be (if I remember correctly) that in baseball after crossing first base the runner has to turn right to return to the base. If he turns left, he is "live" to be put out.

I don't think in softball it matters which way the runner turns after crossing first, but rather whether or not she makes an effort to advance. In softball I see most kids simply stop on the line shortly after crossing the bag.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by MTR » Sat May 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Trophy Hunter wrote:The confusion may be (if I remember correctly) that in baseball after crossing first base the runner has to turn right to return to the base. If he turns left, he is "live" to be put out.

I don't think in softball it matters which way the runner turns after crossing first, but rather whether or not she makes an effort to advance. In softball I see most kids simply stop on the line shortly after crossing the bag.

Baseball does not have such a rule
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun May 06, 2012 3:02 am

Where is the ball ? Does the pitcher have possession of it in the circle ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by UmpSteve » Sun May 06, 2012 7:16 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Where is the ball ? Does the pitcher have possession of it in the circle ?

Don't go there. Mixing in the LBR with its different violation possibilities (and different in various rule sets, besides) will confuse people not grasping the "not out when overrunning first base" concept, which is universal.

Doesn't matter which way the runner turns; the runner is not in jeopardy when overrunning first base and then returning to first base until/unless the runner makes a move that is an effort to second base. From either side of the foul line, or which way the runner turns. No matter where the ball is.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun May 06, 2012 7:20 am

UmpSteve wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Where is the ball ? Does the pitcher have possession of it in the circle ?

Don't go there. Mixing in the LBR with its different violation possibilities (and different in various rule sets, besides) will confuse people not grasping the "not out when overrunning first base" concept, which is universal.

Doesn't matter which way the runner turns; the runner is not in jeopardy when overrunning first base and then returning to first base until/unless the runner makes a move that is an effort to second base. From either side of the foul line, or which way the runner turns. No matter where the ball is.

Agree ... Not trying to confuse the issue ... But, the OP was a little bit confused to begin with ... I was more trying to clarify than confuse ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Trophy Hunter » Sun May 06, 2012 7:27 am

Thank you to the two umpires (Hugo and Steve) who were able to comprehend a simple question and provide a simple answer.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner