Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Blues lack of providing all the information - good or bad ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Trophy Hunter » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:Although it might only be a pet peeve of mine, STOP CALLING US BLUE. Where and how did it become appropriate to call a professional by the color of his shirt? Unless you walk around calling your butcher "hey white," nurses "hey green" and your judges "hey black," it is disrespectful to refer to an umpire as "blue."

I go with Chop Chop, Ratched, and Gavel Boy. They laugh. Well, not the judge so much. She wasn't amused.
As for umps, we are saying Blew. You can figure out the rest.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:Although it might only be a pet peeve of mine, STOP CALLING US BLUE. Where and how did it become appropriate to call a professional by the color of his shirt? Unless you walk around calling your butcher "hey white," nurses "hey green" and your judges "hey black," it is disrespectful to refer to an umpire as "blue."
Who is supplying you with this information?

I believe 'Blue' is a meant as a term of respect, if you see it otherwise it probably makes you blue ...
The information was passed on to me by the DC ... In a casual conversation after the game ... She is my DD's coach and knows that I Coach, as well as Blue ... And was perhaps venting or maybe just entertaining me ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Coach11 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Well you guys don't like asshole....I already know that.....what is it you'd prefer? :lol:

Actually, I use the term Blue when I'm happy with the umpiring. I call them Ump, when I'm not.

One of the best in my area, actually caught on to this during one game. We had a good laugh about it and I went back to calling him Blue.
Coach11

by MTR » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:54 am

Horse hockey!

And this from a guy who comes from an area where the term "umpsey" originated.

I am in regular contact with umpires from around the globe and this is the first I've ever heard anyone ever refer to being called "blue" in a negative manner.

I don't want you to call me by my first name or my last namee. Ump or Blue is not only fine, but preferred and don't let anyone tell you different.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:40 am

MTR wrote:

Horse hockey!

I am in regular contact with umpires from around the globe and this is the first I've ever heard anyone ever refer to being called "blue" in a negative manner.

I don't want you to call me by my first name or my last namee. Ump or Blue is not only fine, but preferred and don't let anyone tell you different.

Two years ago we were scrimmaging another 23U team on a Sunday ... We hired some BLUES but one had a family emergency and had to leave before the second game ... The PU said he would work the game alone, but I offered to do the bases for him and all coaches agreed ... Both teams got a kick out of referring to me as the 'RED', the color shirt I was wearing ... I was very insulted :roll:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Anti-Clone » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:27 pm

They can call me by my name. That's why I introduce myself.
Anti-Clone

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:40 am

Anti-Clone wrote:They can call me by my name. That's why I introduce myself.

I do, if I know/remember their first name when I am addressing the Umpire whether he /she was hurt by the ball they just took to the grill, etc. ... Or if we are just chatting it up about something ... But, if it is about a ruling/call etc., I refer to them as BLUE, much as you would refer to a Judge as 'Your Honor', a Policeman as 'Officer' or 'Seargant' ... But, I see your point about the Pre-Game where we do introduce ourselves ... So, as a matter of respect wouldn't it be better if instead of calling you ' Vinnie ' that you should be called ' Mr. Boombatch ' ?
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:53 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:They can call me by my name. That's why I introduce myself.

I do, if I know/remember their first name when I am addressing the Umpire whether he /she was hurt by the ball they just took to the grill, etc. ... Or if we are just chatting it up about something ... But, if it is about a ruling/call etc., I refer to them as BLUE, much as you would refer to a Judge as 'Your Honor', a Policeman as 'Officer' or 'Seargant' ... But, I see your point about the Pre-Game where we do introduce ourselves ... So, as a matter of respect wouldn't it be better if instead of calling you ' Vinnie ' that you should be called ' Mr. Boombatch ' ?

The plate umpire introduces the crew as a matter of common courtesy. Yes, some people still know what that is. Just because one is introduced in a certain manner certainly isn't permission, assumed or otherwise, to address one in that manner.

Familiarity not only breeds contempt, but bias, real or perceived. We live in a nation of blame, of finger-pointers searching for the slightest indication that our inability to succeed was someone else's fault.

Just because at council meetings and clinic I'm on a first hame bases with the coaches of Team USA, on the field, it is Coach and Ump or Blue.
MTR

by Battle » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:48 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:

Horse hockey!

Two years ago we were scrimmaging another 23U team on a Sunday ... We hired some BLUES but one had a family emergency and had to leave before the second game ... The PU said he would work the game alone, but I offered to do the bases for him and all coaches agreed ... Both teams got a kick out of referring to me as the 'RED', the color shirt I was wearing ... I was very insulted :roll:

LOL...Hey don't feel bad G. They call me "nobody". Notice the avatar. The bad thing is, it fits. :D
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by playball13 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:27 am

I also like to be called "nobody" because nobody is perfect.
playball13

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner