Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Blues lack of providing all the information - good or bad ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:35 am

Close play at first base ... I can't tell from the stands, ( NCAA CONF. Tourny this past weekend ) but the first bagger ( DD ) stretches and may have rocked forward and back at the same moment BR reaches first ... Field Blue calls her out ... OC says she was off the bag and asks Field Blue if he would ask Plate Blue for help, he agrees and they come together ... After a short discussion he reverses his call ... Play on
After the game, the Plate Blue confides in the DC that the BR was in fact out, that the Field Blue asked him " Did she pull her foot ? " To which he answered ' Yes ' ... But the Field Blue never asked him " Did she then put her foot back on the base prior to the BR reaching it ? " So not being asked, he never offered the information ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 am

Come on, seriously? If I go to my partner and ask if F3 pulled the foot, I dont expect to have to ask him detailed questions about if it was pulled did she get it back in time. This isnt a court of law where the attorneys are asking trick questions requiring only yes or no answers. As a base umpire asking the question I shouldnt have to be prying pertinent information out of my partner and I expect to hear what he has to say regarding the play. As a plate umpire, if my partner asks me if F3 pulled the foot, and if the situation is as you described, my answer would have been, yes she initially pulled the foot but got it back on the bag prior to the batter/runner reaching 1st base.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 am

Yes, seriously ... I know what the coach thought about the Plate Blues statements ... I feel as you do Comp ... However, there is at least one Umpire doing this ... so how many more think it's a good idea to not offer everything you know until you are asked exactly ?

FYI: It did not directly influence the outcome of a vey close game, but could have ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:08 am

This shouldnt be a game of 20 questions. If I go to my partner for help on a call, and I ask about a pulled foot, should I have to specify "at the time the batter/runner touched 1st base"? It should be plenty clear, especially to another umpire my question had to do specifically with if the foot was off the bag at the time the batter/runner touched 1st.

Sorry, just cant fathom knowingly giving a piece of incomplete information to a fellow umpire, stand there and watch him reverse the call to the wrong call, and then blame it on "he didnt ask the right question", and admit it later to the coach. If I was the base ump in this situation I would be on the phone having a very long conversation with my assignor.
Comp

by MTR » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Point #1 - PU shouldn't be running at the mouth to either coach about a play, especially involving a call made by another umpire.

Point #2 - Something is wrong with the conversation as you presented it. I understand it is second hand. Umpires don't talk to each other like lawyers trying to reach a predetermined response. If an umpire is acting like that, s/he probably shouldn't be on the field.

Point #3 - If an umpire dosn't want the help, s/he shouldn't ask for it. If I ask for information, I want everything, EVERYTHING you have that involves my question. If you ask me for help, you are going to hear everything I have on the play.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:52 pm

I am presenting the facts as I witnessed and as they were presented to me ... Did I hear the conversations ? No ... Did I witness them ? Yes ... This play had no direct bearing on the game ... What amazed me, was the this PU had several innings to decide that confiding in the DC was a good / bad idea ... I have NO idea why he would seek her out after the game with this information ... Aside from the fact that this Coach has influence and maybe he thought ( stupidly ) he was scoring points ??????? IDK ... I don't know if he offered this information to the BU ... I can't imagine that since he wouldn't offer the information he was asked for in the first place ...
GIMNEPIWO

by tcannizzo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:31 pm

MTR wrote:Point #1 - PU shouldn't be running at the mouth to either coach about a play, especially involving a call made by another umpire.

Point #2 - Something is wrong with the conversation as you presented it. I understand it is second hand. Umpires don't talk to each other like lawyers trying to reach a predetermined response. If an umpire is acting like that, s/he probably shouldn't be on the field.

Point #3 - If an umpire dosn't want the help, s/he shouldn't ask for it. If I ask for information, I want everything, EVERYTHING you have that involves my question. If you ask me for help, you are going to hear everything I have on the play.

+1

Aren't we expected to ask (or be asked) a clearly phrased question that simply requires a Yes/No answer?

In this case, a better question would have been, "Is BR safe due to a pulled foot?"
And a better answer to the poorly asked question would have been, "Yes, but there was a re-touch prior to BR reaching 1B."

Either of these would have prevented this clusterf...
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by MTR » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:14 pm

tcannizzo wrote:Aren't we expected to ask (or be asked) a clearly phrased question that simply requires a Yes/No answer?

Well, not necessarily so terse, but it should never be along the lines of..."whatta you have?"

It should be precise and to the point and the umpire should wait for the entire response prior to making a decision.
MTR

by Anti-Clone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Although it might only be a pet peeve of mine, STOP CALLING US BLUE. Where and how did it become appropriate to call a professional by the color of his shirt? Unless you walk around calling your butcher "hey white," nurses "hey green" and your judges "hey black," it is disrespectful to refer to an umpire as "blue."
Anti-Clone

by Anti-Clone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Who is supplying you with this information?
Anti-Clone

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner