Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Dead ball strike question

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:11 am

I know I should know this but don't ... And no time to look deeper in the book today ...

NFHS ( but just as interested in the ASA & NSA rule # ) - Two strikes on the batter, she swings and misses, the pitched ball striking her hands and rolling foul ... Whats the call ? Site the rule please ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:27 am

FED 8-1-2 Penalties 2
If the batter is hit anywhere on the body, including on the hands, while swinging at a pitch and hits the ball fair or foul, the ball is dead and a strike called. If it is strike three, the batter is out.

ASA 7-6-A
The batter is out when the third strike is swung at and the pitched ball touches any part of the batters person.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 am

Comp wrote:FED 8-1-2 Penalties 2
If the batter is hit anywhere on the body, including on the hands, while swinging at a pitch and hits the ball fair or foul, the ball is dead and a strike called. If it is strike three, the batter is out.

ASA 7-6-A
The batter is out when the third strike is swung at and the pitched ball touches any part of the batters person.

I'm not seeing it in FED 8-1 ... please advise
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:43 am

Go to penalties, just before the start of Section 2, page 60 (2012 book). Whole penalty section is bolded, just about the middle of the page.
Comp

by Jalamander » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:45 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:[I'm not seeing it in FED 8-1 ... please advise

NFHS 8-1-2
At the end of Article 2 you'll see a section called EFFECT: and a section called PENALTIES: (Art. 2).
Under the Article 2 penalties it is penalty nbr 2.

You can also look under:
NFHS 7-2-1(g) and ASA 7-4-H
Jalamander

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks ... Got it ... I was sure it was in there ... Last night, the OP happened and the call was 'Dead Ball Strike, Foul Ball ' ... While the gal was getting her tears wiped away and shaking it off, I approached the plate Blue who I know ... He stood by his call but agreed to check with the Base Blue, who I also know ... They both had the same thing ... I didn't argue much because we were up by 5 and I could not site the rule by memory ... I did however get them to agree that the hands are not part of the bat ... At which point I asked how it could be a foul ball if she did not hit it with the bat ... Next pitch, same thing, same call ... This time I think she broke her hand and was replaced by a sub who my hurler K'd ... No harm, no foul except for the gals hand ...
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner