Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Subs in the batting lineup (USSSA FP)

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Izzy's Dad » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:32 am

In U-Trip fastpitch I can bat 11 girls. If I have 2 subs, can I bat them anywhere in the lineup? Or do they have to bat 10 and 11? I'm not getting a clear answer from the rules.
Izzy's Dad

by Comp » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:54 am

Sec 3. ADDITIONAL PLAYER - Up to two additional players can be used to
increase the batting lineup to 10 or 11 batters. The additional player(s) will be
placed in the line up in the batting position(s) to be occupied. The additional
player(s) can also be used on defense (only 9 defensive players in the field),
but must keep the same position in the batting order. The additional player(s),
if used, must be selected prior to the start of the game, and their name(s) must
be included on the line up card presented to the Umpire. Failure to declare the
use of the additional player(s) prior to the game precludes the use of an
additional player(s) in that game. If a pinch-hitter or pinch runner is used for an
additional player, that player becomes the new additional player. The original
additional player(s) may re-enter like any other player under the re-entry rule.
If an additional player is used, the position must be used the entire game.
Comp

by Fredegar » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:37 am

So in answer to your question, you can bat them anywhere, as long as its specified on the official lineup card. When you list positions on the lineup card, the first 9 would officially need positions, even if you don't expect a couple of them to take the field. Whoever bats in the 10 and 11 slots would have positions officially listed as EP or AP (Extra Player or Additional Player). Since any 9 can play defense, the kids in the 10 and 11 slots can play defense instead of your 2 APs.
Fredegar

by MTR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:47 am

Izzy's Dad wrote:In U-Trip fastpitch I can bat 11 girls. If I have 2 subs, can I bat them anywhere in the lineup? Or do they have to bat 10 and 11? I'm not getting a clear answer from the rules.

Be careful with the term "subs". As I understand it, these are not subs, nor available to be a sub for another player. They are part of the line-up.
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Fredegar wrote:So in answer to your question, you can bat them anywhere, as long as its specified on the official lineup card. When you list positions on the lineup card, the first 9 would officially need positions, even if you don't expect a couple of them to take the field. Whoever bats in the 10 and 11 slots would have positions officially listed as EP or AP (Extra Player or Additional Player). Since any 9 can play defense, the kids in the 10 and 11 slots can play defense instead of your 2 APs.

I'm nt sure how you came to that conclusion.

The AP can be in any position in the batting order and for position, designated as "AP".

The additional player(s) will be
placed in the line up in the batting position(s) to be occupied.
HugoTafurst

Return to The Umpire Corner