Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

pitching mound

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by pinoypride1977 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:43 pm

quick question i have a 10u pitcher that i always taught to relax and take the sign then step on the mound and pitch. i was informed by a umpire that she has to take her sign from the mound. she is my only pitcher good enough to take signs and my other pitchers are basically throw it hard down the middle so as long as she's not trying to quick pitch i don't see a problem when she recieves her sign. is this an ASA rule because he mentioned it was a TC rule. just want to verify thx
pinoypride1977

by tcannizzo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:05 pm

As you are 10-U we (softball umpires) will cut you some slack.
Please do not use terms "Mound" and "Rubber", they do not exist in softball.
There is a Pitcher's Circle not a Mound.
There is a Pitcher's Plate not a Rubber.

In ASA the pitcher may take the sign from anywhere.
However, the rule states that the pitcher must pause for at least one second before starting the pitching motion to either take the sign, or simulate taking a sign.

Hope this helps.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:37 pm

I see another problem .... If she is pitching from the mound you are on the wrong field ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by artomatic » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:46 pm

G is trying to say technically it's a pitching plate :D

I think if she takes the sign off the rubber, she has to step on the rubber and simulate taking the sign (pause) before pitching.

The umps on this board can give you the definite explanation, but i think thats what it is, and I also think it's to prevent quick pitches.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by HugoTafurst » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:24 pm

tcannizzo wrote:As you are 10-U we (softball umpires) will cut you some slack.

In ASA the pitcher may take the sign from anywhere.
However, the rule states that the pitcher must pause for at least one second before starting the pitching motion to either take the sign, or simulate taking a sign.

Hope this helps.

Also, when she steps on the pitchers plate, the hands must be separated for that time she takes or simulates taking a sign. That's another part of the rule that young pitchers (and new coaches) miss a lot.

One way or another, these two parts of the pitching rule exisist in all Softball codes I can think of.

Another bit of advice.... If you are serious about coaching, you should pick up a rule book and check it out.

There is a lot of mis-information that gets passed around by "experts" at the ball field.

Good luck to you and your team
HugoTafurst

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:11 pm

artomatic wrote:G is trying to say technically it's a pitching plate :D

I think if she takes the sign off the rubber, she has to step on the rubber and simulate taking the sign (pause) before pitching.

The umps on this board can give you the definite explanation, but i think thats what it is, and I also think it's to prevent quick pitches.

LOL ... Actually no, give me less credit than that ! ... I wasn't even at that level yet Arto ... :lol: ... There is no 'mound' for which to attach the pitchers plate / rubber on a softball diamond ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Coach11 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:43 pm

tcannizzo wrote:As you are 10-U we (softball umpires) will cut you some slack.

Thanks for that. One of my pet peeves. While I can understand dads not realizing this as they begin coaching softball (after having played or coached baseball), at some point they need to recognize the difference.

Did the tango on this topic a few weeks ago on the eteamz forum with a coach that just didn't see the relevance.
Coach11

by pinoypride1977 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:58 pm

quick question since i'm being schooled on the finer details is the pitchers plate suppose to be flush with the field or can the plate actually be on top to give pitchers something to push off on
pinoypride1977

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 pm

pinoypride1977 wrote:quick question since i'm being schooled on the finer details is the pitchers plate suppose to be flush with the field or can the plate actually be on top to give pitchers something to push off on

You are only allowed one 'quick question' per thread ... :lol: ... I have seen pitchers plates flush and raised on softball diamonds ... But have never seen one on a 'mound' ...
GIMNEPIWO

by hit4power » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:15 pm

quick question since i'm being schooled on the finer details is the pitchers plate suppose to be flush with the field or can the plate actually be on top to give pitchers something to push off on

I see it both ways - most older girls will do some "landscaping" if they don't like how the plate is set. Many will dig a bit of hole (sometimes a big hole) along the front edge of the plate so they have a place to dig in their foot and push off. Mine has been known to dig the hole and then add some lines out in front to act as guides for her plant point on different pitches.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner