Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

NFHS rule about pitching arm motion

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by softballdadcoach » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 am

I am not familiar with the NFHS rules about the actual pitching motion. I have been educated about the "step backward as long as it begins before the hands come together" difference with, for instance, ASA.

But I saw this in my twin DDs HS game last night: At times, the opposing pitcher began her 'wind-up' by bringing the hands together, then taking her pitching arm backwards through a reverse-looking wind-up [the direction of an exaggerated baseball pitch] and touching her wrists together, before beginning the traditional windmill-and-release towards the plate. *This is the best way I can describe her motion*. In essence she is passing her arm through 2 rotations--one overhand and then one underhand.

What does the NFHS rulebook say about the pitching arm motion? What is the comparable wording from the ASA book [it has been years since I had a copy of the ASA rulebook and do not remember the specifics about pitching].
softballdadcoach

by hit4power » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:15 am

Im not a blue but my Fed book only says (6.4.d) that the pitcher may not make "more than 1 and 1/2 clockwise revolutions of the arm in the windmill pitch. The ball does not have to be released the first time past the hip."

I've seen (I think) what you are describing, on occasion, and I've never seen it called as illegal.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:25 am

Im having a real hard time invisioning what you are trying to describe. Would be nice to have some video.

As for pitching rules, ASA and FED are virtually identical, with the exception of FED allowing the step back. The only other difference isnt really a pitching rule, but a lookback rule. In FED, short of the pitcher actually setting the ball down on the field, all she has to have is posession of the ball in the circle for the lookback rule to be in force. ASA requires both posession and control of the ball. If a pitcher puts the ball under her arm, between her legs etc to mess with her hair or do who knows what, this is not considered control and the runners are free to advance.
Comp

by MTR » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:53 am

softballdadcoach wrote:I am not familiar with the NFHS rules about the actual pitching motion. I have been educated about the "step backward as long as it begins before the hands come together" difference with, for instance, ASA.

But I saw this in my twin DDs HS game last night: At times, the opposing pitcher began her 'wind-up' by bringing the hands together, then taking her pitching arm backwards through a reverse-looking wind-up [the direction of an exaggerated baseball pitch] and touching her wrists together, before beginning the traditional windmill-and-release towards the plate. *This is the best way I can describe her motion*. In essence she is passing her arm through 2 rotations--one overhand and then one underhand.

What does the NFHS rulebook say about the pitching arm motion? What is the comparable wording from the ASA book [it has been years since I had a copy of the ASA rulebook and do not remember the specifics about pitching].

Sounds like she may be in violation of NFHS 6.1.4.b&c.

b. The pitcher does not use a rocker motion in which, after having both hands together in the pitching position, she removes one hand from the ball, takes a backward and forward swing and returns the ball to both hands in front of the body.
c. The pitcher does not use a wind-up in which there is a stop or reversal of the forward motion.
MTR

by ajaywill » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 pm

The 1 1/2 revolutions is measured from the point that the backswing stops and the forward motion begins. So if the backswing motion goes much past the arm pointing straight up before the reversal of motion begins, the pitcher has used more than 1 1/2 revolutions and is considered illegal.

Your statement about the wrists coming together also throws up a red flag for me. I'd have to see it to judge for sure, but it seems that could be seen as the hands coming together a second time prior to the pitch.
ajaywill

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Hands coming together could be the issue and the points that MTR point out.

1 1/2 revolutions would be very hard to accomplish.

We had a pitcher that excelled at a young age. Looked like she was double jointed. She threw both hands down and back, and they just continued up the back side until they did not quite reach straight up and down. On a clock, with 12 straight up, they reach back to about 2. Since the pitch typically releases at about 6, straight down, this would still be short of the 1 1/2 turns. I would think the backswing would have to make it all the way to 11pm

Unless we count follow through, but that does not seem to work. Many girls finish in the 11 range so even a take back to 5 on the clock would be more than 1 1/2 rotations.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tcannizzo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:19 pm

I hate the way that rule is written. 1 1/2 revolutions, really? That means 1.5. What about 1.51? How can anyone possibly measure it accurately enough to enforce it?
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:12 am

I think the 1 1/2 revolution rules intent may have been to keep pitchers from throwing the 2 1/2 revolution pitch ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner