Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Batter Our or Not

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Makina » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:00 pm

ASA rules: Batter bunts ball in fair territory has 1 foot clearly out of box and one in box and runs into ball. What is your ruling
Makina

by Comp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:06 pm

You are likely to get different answers from different people. Some will say both feet have to be out of the box, otherwise the batter is still in the box. Personally, every other rule in the book with regard to any line on the field requires only 1 foot to be across to be considered beyond the boundary. Before a pitch, the batter must have both feet inside the batters box. If the batter hits the ball with 1 foot completely outside the batters box, they are out. If the pitcher has one foot completely outside the circle, they are not considered to be in the circle. If a defensive player puts 1 foot into dead ball territory, they are considered to be in dead ball territory, etc etc etc.

Per my viewpoint and what I have been taught, if 1 foot is completely outside the box and the batter makes contact with the batted ball, they are out.
Comp

by UmpSteve » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Comp wrote:
Per my viewpoint and what I have been taught, if 1 foot is completely outside the box and the batter makes contact with the batted ball, they are out.

Agree, only IF the one foot completely out of the box is ALSO touching the ground at the time of contact with the batted ball. A foot in the air has no established position.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Makina wrote:ASA rules: Batter bunts ball in fair territory has 1 foot clearly out of box and one in box and runs into ball. What is your ruling

Out. 8.2.F.4
MTR

by Anti-Clone » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Just to clarify exactly what happened: Did the batter have a foot on the ground outside of the batter's box at the time of the bunt and then run into the ball; or, did the batter bunt the ball and then, while one foot was still in the box, the batter contacted the ball (with her person) while leaving the box (and one foot on the ground outside the box)?
Anti-Clone

by Makina » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Batter made legal contact while bunting, while running out of the box ran into ball with one foot in and one foot out.
Makina

by Comp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:20 am

And what was the call that was made?
Comp

by MTR » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:20 am

Makina wrote:Batter made legal contact while bunting, while running out of the box ran into ball with one foot in and one foot out.

I really don't care where the batter-runner's feet were, it is irrelevant.
MTR

by Fredegar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:36 am

MTR wrote:
Makina wrote:Batter made legal contact while bunting, while running out of the box ran into ball with one foot in and one foot out.

I think you DO need to care where the batter-runner's feet are.
In ASA, Rule 1, Definition of Foul Ball, Item F: A Foul Ball is a batted ball that "Touches the batter...while the batter is within the batter's box."

So I think the OP's question is: Does 1 foot in and 1 foot out mean the batter is within the batter's box?
Fredegar

by MTR » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Fredegar wrote:
MTR wrote:

I think you DO need to care where the batter-runner's feet are.
In ASA, Rule 1, Definition of Foul Ball, Item F: A Foul Ball is a batted ball that "Touches the batter...while the batter is within the batter's box."

So I think the OP's question is: Does 1 foot in and 1 foot out mean the batter is within the batter's box?

That is true, but that is the batter. I'm talking about the BR contacting a fair batted ball.

1. BATTER-RUNNER. A player who has completed a turn at bat, but who has not yet been put out or reached first base.

8.2 BATTER-RUNNER IS OUT
F. When the batter-runner interferes with:
4. By making contact with a fair batted ball before reaching first base.
Last edited by MTR on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner