Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

A strange call in Las Vegas

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:44 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Good idea Einstein ... And then, we can let Umpires throw balls at all the Coaches who make mistakes ... And fans, lets let them start throwing sh*t too ... :roll: ( was that about the amount of grief you expected ? ) :lol:

Under those parameters, some umpires may intentionally screw up just to have the opportunity to throw something at a coach ;)
MTR

by DP3816 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
DP3816 wrote:Well I'm probably going to get a lot of grief about this but I think the pitcher should have unleased the hardest throw she could and hit the ump (quite a large fellow) in his quite large arse.

Good idea Einstein ... And then, we can let Umpires throw balls at all the Coaches who make mistakes ... And fans, lets let them start throwing sh*t too ... :roll: ( was that about the amount of grief you expected ? ) :lol:

Actually I expected more. You didn't call me any bad names.
DP3816

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:26 pm

DP3816 wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
DP3816 wrote:Well I'm probably going to get a lot of grief about this but I think the pitcher should have unleased the hardest throw she could and hit the ump (quite a large fellow) in his quite large arse.

Actually I expected more. You didn't call me any bad names.

Sure I did ... :lol: Much as calling time was 'implied' by the Umpire cleaning home plate ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Anti-Clone » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Just one more reason to leave the damn plate and bases alone.
Anti-Clone

by HugoTafurst » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:45 pm

9ersporvida wrote:Here is one of the strangest umpire involved plays I have ever seen and I am curious to see what others think:
Here is the play: 1st game of pool play of 14U, runners on 3rd & 2nd, pass ball runners advance with runner on 3rd scoring, catcher throws ball back to pitcher while pitcher was out of the circle, umpire doesn't call time out and decides to clean plate while play is still active, runner on 3rd runs home while ump is still brushing off plate blocking throw from pitcher to catcher, pitcher holds on to the ball...home plate umpire allows run to count and says he's sorry but there is nothing he could have done because time out wasnt called...Is this the right call?

Completely messed up mechanics...
Let's hope it stays in Vegas....
:o
HugoTafurst

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:55 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
9ersporvida wrote:Here is one of the strangest umpire involved plays I have ever seen and I am curious to see what others think:
Here is the play: 1st game of pool play of 14U, runners on 3rd & 2nd, pass ball runners advance with runner on 3rd scoring, catcher throws ball back to pitcher while pitcher was out of the circle, umpire doesn't call time out and decides to clean plate while play is still active, runner on 3rd runs home while ump is still brushing off plate blocking throw from pitcher to catcher, pitcher holds on to the ball...home plate umpire allows run to count and says he's sorry but there is nothing he could have done because time out wasnt called...Is this the right call?

Completely messed up mechanics...
Let's hope it stays in Vegas....
:o

LOL ... Not to justify it in any way except he/she screwed up ... But, I was actually wondering if this Blue had more slow pitch experience than fast pitch ... Thinking all play has stopped, balls back in the infield, no one going anywhere so I'll clean the dish ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:50 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:LOL ... Not to justify it in any way except he/she screwed up ... But, I was actually wondering if this Blue had more slow pitch experience than fast pitch ... Thinking all play has stopped, balls back in the infield, no one going anywhere so I'll clean the dish ...

Actually, the ONLY error here was the umpire not knowing that he had suspended play. The point that he was cleaning the plate is not that big a deal.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:23 pm

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:LOL ... Not to justify it in any way except he/she screwed up ... But, I was actually wondering if this Blue had more slow pitch experience than fast pitch ... Thinking all play has stopped, balls back in the infield, no one going anywhere so I'll clean the dish ...

Actually, the ONLY error here was the umpire not knowing that he had suspended play. The point that he was cleaning the plate is not that big a deal.

True, but I see more slow pitch Blues not verbalizing when they suspend play than I do fast pitch Blues ... Although, when I'm doing slow pitch I'm the 'over-kill' guy and verbally call time every time, even though it is understood that play has been suspended ...
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner