Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

cmon blue

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by UmpSteve » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 pm

ontheblack wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:Actually, JOE, that is one reasonable and acceptable option, not two.

It is not acceptable to the NCAA nor its' coordinators that umpires come to their contest dressed in uniform. We are directed to arrive in business casual, and change on site.

Are you suggesting that given the option of changing offsite or doing what he did, the NCAA would consider his actions to be less unacceptable? Decency over some stupid protocol? Is that what you are saying?

It isn't either/or; there is no option, even if you think it would be better in retrospect. No NCAA umpire will arrive on site in uniform; we will arrive in business casual.

Ok, now I am here, the host hasn't provided a place to change. What are my options, what choices do I have? I can now pick the best one; but one not available now is to have dressed before I got there.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:56 am

MTR wrote:
Iluvblue wrote:He was in a PARKING LOT. We were 20 feet away from his car, he was in the part of the lot closest to the fields. meaning ... no shit people would be passing by on their way to the fields. There is a restroom 50 feet behind home plate.

So he could have used the restroom.
He definitely saw us as we were unloading all of our crap from our vehicle.

There you go, the rest of the story. Isn't it amazing how telling a complete story could often avoid all the coulda, woulda, shoulda that occurs?

Regardless if the school does or does not provide a place for him, in the freaking parking lot in front of my kids is NOT the place to change. So stop making excuses for the guy. And you are telling me to deal with it? If it were just me, no biggie, but my 9 and 11 year old daughter , abd you say for ME to deal with it. Get a clue.

Obviously, situations like this should be avoided. That's pretty much a no brainer, but things like this do occur and I doubt this gentleman did this with the intent of upsetting others.

Yeah, I am telling you to deal with it and get over yourself. Try being a parent and use the experience to teach your chidren what is and isn't appropriate. What the hell do you do at the beach or pool, make your kids wear blindfolds?

When I Trek to the beach with the family try to be strategic. Very first sight of the beach my head is on a swivel, and my senses are on full. Millions of years of evolutionary training have purpose built my brain for this situation.

My very first scan is to highlight, for avoidance, overweight geeky umpire types that look like they might expose an ass cheek to me in the kiddos.

So I have never had this problem at the beach.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:00 am

Much to my dismay ... I'm trying to put together a visual here ... When I Umpire I wear a pair of compression shorts that have a built in pocket for my shield ... If I had to wear 'business casual' to the field, I would already have those on underneath, sans armor ... If I had to adjust my armor or tuck in my shirt, I suppose that my pants could fall down to my ankles ... OR, even if I had to pull on my heather gray slacks ... Still, no as* check is flapping in the wind ... Even if this Umpire was wearing tighty whities, I doubt seriously that kids were traumatized by this ... I would think that without parents involvment, that kids would be giggling hysterically and not planning their visit to Oprah ...
Should this Blue change in the restroom* or back of his car, sure ... Should he refrain from wearing the lace thong that left his bike rack there for the world to see ... sure ... But if he is like most Blues trying to get changed in the parking lot, he probably thought he had 15 seconds to do this maneuver and figured wrong ...

* not as easy as it sounds ... I can imagine the trauma & uproar if this guy showed up at the field with wet trousers ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:30 am

So, I guess trips to the beaches of Brazil are out of the question.
MTR

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:24 am

MTR wrote:So, I guess trips to the beaches of Brazil are out of the question.

Absolutely not! Scan 2 is to locate all potential good looking over 20-ish women ideal for setting up camp close. If they look like they might expose an ass cheek they go way up the list.

Here is where the millions of years of brain evolution kicks in. Allowing me to instantly create the perfect map in my mind, including 100s of contingencies and what if's. A feat that $100 Million dollar super computer can not solve in a 100 years.

Then I am off, like a shot. Of course, I am left reeling and unbalanced when I realize the wife has gone the other direction and has now left me standing in a group of 20-ish women that are now looking at me like I might be a geeky overweight umpire type that could accidentally expose an ass cheek at any moment. Not sure, I guess a few more million years of evolution are necessary to handle this sitch.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:40 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:
MTR wrote:So, I guess trips to the beaches of Brazil are out of the question.

Absolutely not! Scan 2 is to locate all potential good looking over 20-ish women ideal for setting up camp close. If they look like they might expose an ass cheek they go way up the list.

Here is where the millions of years of brain evolution kicks in. Allowing me to instantly create the perfect map in my mind, including 100s of contingencies and what if's. A feat that $100 Million dollar super computer can not solve in a 100 years.

Then I am off, like a shot. Of course, I am left reeling and unbalanced when I realize the wife has gone the other direction and has now left me standing in a group of 20-ish women that are now looking at me like I might be a geeky overweight umpire type that could accidentally expose an ass cheek at any moment. Not sure, I guess a few more million years of evolution are necessary to handle this sitch.

:lol: ... I am still thinking the only left traumatized here is the Cheek-er not the cheek-y's ...
:lol: :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Iluvblue » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:00 am

I am so not politically correct that I have to be really careful nowadays to not say what i really think in many cases.

Go look at the fortune cookie thing right now with Jeremy Lin. I think it is damn funny, but yet some fool will probably lose his job over it because you cant say or think anything that is not PC.

But I dont see how ANYONE can possibly defend what this guy did. Are my kids traumatized? Uhmmm , NO. But that isnt the point. If some gang banger was in the parking lot changing and his ass was hanging out, you'd blast him. The reasons the guy was changing and was butt naked does not matter. The restroom was a much more appropriate place... PERIOD.

If the coach was doing the same thing, youd say that was uncalled for.
Iluvblue

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:42 am

Iluvblue wrote:I am so not politically correct that I have to be really careful nowadays to not say what i really think in many cases.

Go look at the fortune cookie thing right now with Jeremy Lin. I think it is damn funny, but yet some fool will probably lose his job over it because you cant say or think anything that is not PC.

But I dont see how ANYONE can possibly defend what this guy did. Are my kids traumatized? Uhmmm , NO. But that isnt the point. If some gang banger was in the parking lot changing and his ass was hanging out, you'd blast him. The reasons the guy was changing and was butt naked does not matter. The restroom was a much more appropriate place... PERIOD.

:lol: If a gang banger had his as* hanging out in the parking lot, that is called 'stealing a car' in 'business casual' ... Not getting changed for a game ...

If a coach changes in the restroom and his trousers get wet, he just looks like some water spilled out of the cooler when he was carrying it ... If an Umpire shows up with wet trousers he looks like a slob ... But, as you point out, also looks bad if he has his pants around his ankles in the parking lot ... With a few minutes in between games, often there is no time to get to a more appropriate place to change gear before the next game ...

I did not see anywhere in the OP that this guy was 'butt naked' ... I was under the impression that he was getting changed in the parking lot like MANY Blues do and his cheeks were sticking out of his skivvies ... I don't think I'm defending as much as I am explaining ...

Iluvblue, remember please that I see this from many angles as a Coach, Umpire, Father and fan ... I believe you have mentioned that you had Umpired in the past ... Where did you get changed back in the day ? ...

At my old HS I let the Umpires change in the equiptment room if they wanted to, but they often had their gear in their cars ... At my new school, we have a press box were they can get changed if they want to ...
GIMNEPIWO

by J O E » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:19 am

Iluvblue wrote:I am so not politically correct that I have to be really careful nowadays to not say what i really think in many cases.

27 posts and three pages later, I think we get your point. Next time...why don't you grow one and say something to the ass-cheek blue, or take it to the school who hired him.
J O E

by MTR » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:35 am

Iluvblue wrote:

And if you had mentioned there were options available, maybe the thread would have went in a different direction, but that, too, isn't the point.

No, I wouldn't blast anybody for acting the fool. I'd probably have a good laugh at their expense.

I find it humorous that the people in this country gloat over being in the land of the free and the home of the brave when the standard seems to be that no one is permitted to do anything with which his neighbor doesn't agree and cowers at the sight of anything not understood or isn't in line with that person's social or moral beliefs.

It seems this country has taken to viewing the world as would Frank Burns and his infamous comment, "Individuality is fine, as long as we all do it together."
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner