Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

cmon blue

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by J O E » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:27 am

There's no need to make excuses for this dufus who doesn't have a clue. With at least 30 young women on site playing softball it's safe to assume there is a restroom on site. It's also safe to assume that since there's a women's restroom on site, there is a men's room also.

Someone should have approached this rocket scientist and explained that exposing himself to the public is unacceptable, and that two options are available: 1.) Come to the park dressed so that we don't have to see your ass cheeks, or 2.) Use the restroom at the field or the school nearby.
J O E

by UmpSteve » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:21 am

J O E wrote:There's no need to make excuses for this dufus who doesn't have a clue. With at least 30 young women on site playing softball it's safe to assume there is a restroom on site. It's also safe to assume that since there's a women's restroom on site, there is a men's room also.

Someone should have approached this rocket scientist and explained that exposing himself to the public is unacceptable, and that two options are available: 1.) Come to the park dressed so that we don't have to see your ass cheeks, or 2.) Use the restroom at the field or the school nearby.

Actually, JOE, that is one reasonable and acceptable option, not two.

It is not acceptable to the NCAA nor its' coordinators that umpires come to their contest dressed in uniform. We are directed to arrive in business casual, and change on site.

While greater discretion certainly could have been used, and the public restroom, while undesirable, would have been a better option, the truth IS that the school should be making SOME accommodation for umpires' needing to dress. I can promise you they found a place for the players to dress with privacy.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:09 am

He was in a PARKING LOT. We were 20 feet away from his car, he was in the part of the lot closest to the fields. meaning ... no shit people would be passing by on their way to the fields. There is a restroom 50 feet behind home plate.

So he could have used the restroom.
He definitely saw us as we were unloading all of our crap from our vehicle.

Regardless if the school does or does not provide a place for him, in the freaking parking lot in front of my kids is NOT the place to change. So stop making excuses for the guy. And you are telling me to deal with it? If it were just me, no biggie, but my 9 and 11 year old daughter , abd you say for ME to deal with it. Get a clue.
Iluvblue

by ontheblack » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 am

UmpSteve wrote:Actually, JOE, that is one reasonable and acceptable option, not two.

It is not acceptable to the NCAA nor its' coordinators that umpires come to their contest dressed in uniform. We are directed to arrive in business casual, and change on site.

Are you suggesting that given the option of changing offsite or doing what he did, the NCAA would consider his actions to be less unacceptable? Decency over some stupid protocol? Is that what you are saying?

@MTR, I have been surfing for 30 years. There are numerous times where I have to change into or out of a wetsuit in areas where there is no privacy. I use a towel. There is no excuse for some fat ass umpire to be exposed in an area where there are not only female athletes, but their moms and sisters.
ontheblack

by Comp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:06 am

Find out who the assignor of the umpire was and file a complaint.
Comp

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 am

This thread seems to have some promise.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:45 am

I know this is going to sound crazy but could the gentleman have made a gigantic effort to be discrete and changed inside his car? I did it twice last weekend (the shim look is tough to maintain). It isn't difficult.

When I was 16, my girlfriend and I stopped in a park parking lot. The park was in a fairly remote location and appearred empty. I went to the trunk and changed my pants. Soon afterwards a policeman came over. Seems someone had reported me and I was told I could be arrested for indecent exposure but he let me go. That would have looked good on the ole resume. I'm sure it would look good on a blue's resume as well.

Indecent Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 am

MTR wrote:
ontheblack wrote:
Seriously? Dude, you are losing it big time. Get help. Quickly.

Have you ever been in the position that you had no choice, but the change in a public place? I have, often, because the schools just don't give a damn about the officials.

There are 7 NCAA Div I or II schools within 10 miles of my house and not one has any accommodations for the softball officials. One has an area behind the press box blocked off from the stadium by a couple of firs, but the out fence is bare an open to passing traffic.

Umpires do what they can, where they can. There is a lot missing in the OP, but I would be willing to bet the umpire was not aware of their presence or didn't expect them to turn around since, as stated, he was behind them.

Shit happens, deal with it.

This sounds eerily similar to your tired old defense of ASA.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Iluvblue wrote:He was in a PARKING LOT. We were 20 feet away from his car, he was in the part of the lot closest to the fields. meaning ... no shit people would be passing by on their way to the fields. There is a restroom 50 feet behind home plate.

So he could have used the restroom.
He definitely saw us as we were unloading all of our crap from our vehicle.

There you go, the rest of the story. Isn't it amazing how telling a complete story could often avoid all the coulda, woulda, shoulda that occurs?

Regardless if the school does or does not provide a place for him, in the freaking parking lot in front of my kids is NOT the place to change. So stop making excuses for the guy. And you are telling me to deal with it? If it were just me, no biggie, but my 9 and 11 year old daughter , abd you say for ME to deal with it. Get a clue.

Obviously, situations like this should be avoided. That's pretty much a no brainer, but things like this do occur and I doubt this gentleman did this with the intent of upsetting others.

Yeah, I am telling you to deal with it and get over yourself. Try being a parent and use the experience to teach your chidren what is and isn't appropriate. What the hell do you do at the beach or pool, make your kids wear blindfolds?
MTR

by MTR » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:This sounds eerily similar to your tired old defense of ASA.

Let me see how much I care about your opinion...............
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner