Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Rule 3 Section 7 - Warming/Cooling Devices

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Fuddrules » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:36 pm

If that's the case, colleges in the north could play for the 10 days when they go south for spring break......and then hang it up for the season.

By the time it warms up, the season is over.
Fuddrules

by MTR » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Fuddrules wrote:If that's the case, colleges in the north could play for the 10 days when they go south for spring break......and then hang it up for the season.

By the time it warms up, the season is over.

Rubbish
MTR

by RedDirtDad » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:25 am

This is softball. If you can't play in the cold, you might as well play indoor soccer.

Here's something I found from DeMarini's website:
Q: How does cold weather affect bats?
A: Cold weather affects the ball, not the bat. A ball's core becomes harder in cold weather, causing the ball to dent the bat. Some players think that keeping a bat warm before hitting will prevent denting, but what they actually want to do is keep the ball above 60° F. High-compression balls may also shorten the life of your bat, as well as team usage situations.

How difficult would it be to convince the opposing team to keep the balls warm and toasty when pitching against our team?
RedDirtDad

by MTR » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:21 pm

RedDirtDad wrote:This is softball. If you can't play in the cold, you might as well play indoor soccer.

Here's something I found from DeMarini's website:
Q: How does cold weather affect bats?
A: Cold weather affects the ball, not the bat. A ball's core becomes harder in cold weather, causing the ball to dent the bat. Some players think that keeping the bat warm before hitting will prevent denting, but what they actually want to do is keep the ball above 60° F. High-compression balls may also shorten the life of your bat, as well as team usage situations.

How difficult would it be to convince the opposing team to keep the balls warm and toasty when pitching against our team?

Yet Anderson voids their warranty if the bat is used in temperatures below 60F.

I'm sure their reasoning is fair, but every time a newer ball is introduced, the core is less and less affected by temperature. So, I wonder if their concern is still accurate with the continually evolving softball.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:29 am

MTR wrote:And my point, and it is a personal opinion and I understand it does not go with the flow, is that you don't play when it is cold, North, South, East or West. Just my preference. Never liked playing when it was cold. Hate umpiring when it is cold. And it isn't the cold. I'm a, well was before the new knee, skier and love standing on the top of mountains in January.

I know how taboo it is to think it is a warm weather game, but that is the way I view it.

Agree, warm weather is certainly the ideal weather, however, I also view it as an outdoor game which would mean the weather is another legitimate variable .. Be it cold, hot, wet, frozen ... But while fanning, playing, coaching or umping ... It is my opinion, that of all possible conditions, wind blows ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by progapanda » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:44 pm

So if a blue sees a team with their bat barrels baking in the Arizona summer sunshine (handles in the shade, of course) what can he do? The physical characteristics are being changed. When they test the bats, what temp standard or control is being used? What should the +/- on bat temperature be. If ASA tests a bat in summer southwest temperatures and a bat manufacturer makes a bat to meet these specifications, a team that is playing a early spring game in Michigan should be able to bring a bat barrel temperature up to meet it, for example, a bat warmer at 80 degrees.

I can't imagine the disappointment of an east coast coach recruiting a southwest big hitter only to find out it was the warm barrels that made the ball fly. :)
progapanda
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tcannizzo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:55 am

Theory is that the bat temp must be consistent with the ambient temp.
This way all bats are the same temp.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by Crabby_Bob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 am

Thus, black bats left in the sun will be warmer than white bats and warmer still than white bats left in the shade. Jus' sayin'.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Crabby_Bob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 am

Precisely.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner