Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Slapper out of the box ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Rule 7 Section 6. The Batter is out.
D. When the entire foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box at the time the ball makes contact with the bat.
=====================================================================

This quote is taken from the fastpitch board section regarding the question of where the lead foot can and cannot be at the time of ball contact. Seems like the consensus is that the lead foot must be outside the batters box AND on the ground to be an out. In the air is irrelevant, not a violation, all ok. However, a question... the quote above states the "entire foot is touching the ground....". If there was a way to call/observe this accurately (tough to do) one could say that if the batter had the ball of their lead foot on the ground and NOT the heel then they would be legal. It is almost as if the wording was intended to really convey that the entire foot needs to be outside the batters box and some part of the foot in contact with the ground to be illegal (out). Yea, subtle difference...

Perspectives?
fasterpitch92701

by MTR » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:40 pm

The wording of the rule needs to be read in a particular manner.

It is a violation if the parts of the foot touching the ground are completely outside of the box. IOW, if a heel is in the air, it is not in the box.

It is easier to see in SP than FP, but when an umpire calls it, there is little doubt that it occurred since this isn't something that is called on a guess.

It should also be noted that being called out for the foot touching the plate is a different rule and there is no in/out of the box quantification.

BTW, it can be either foot, not just the front foot.
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:47 am

MTR wrote:(SNIP) but when an umpire calls it, there is little doubt that it occurred since this isn't something that is called on a guess.

(SNIP).

add - "by competent umpires".

I've been following this board long enough to know that there are a few here who just love to come whining about some umpire that is still learning the nuances of the game.
:mrgreen:
HugoTafurst

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:57 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
MTR wrote:(SNIP) but when an umpire calls it, there is little doubt that it occurred since this isn't something that is called on a guess.

(SNIP).

add - "by competent umpires".

I've been following this board long enough to know that there are a few here who just love to come whining about some umpire that is still learning the nuances of the game. :mrgreen:

I've played, I've coached, I've umpired .... I've made errors on all accounts ... The real difference is that if you give a sh*t ... whether you want to get it right or not .. whether you can put your head on the pillow and know that you did the best that YOU can do, or if not, make the adjustments and get better ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner