Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

High School Temporary Runner

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by nohesitation » Wed May 11, 2011 2:07 pm

I have a question regarding NFHS (FP) 3-3-8, a & b.

Paraphrasing Art.8 “If a team is playing with 9 and there are no available substitutes when a runner advancing on an awarded base or after reaching base is unable to continue:
a. The previous batter not on base is allowed to replace that player as a temporary runner until she is put out, scores or the half inning ends.
b. When the player who could not continue is scheduled to bat, an out shall be called.”
My question is: Can the player “unable to continue” re-enter the game?
If yes, can she re-enter before her next at-bat?
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
nohesitation

by Comp » Wed May 11, 2011 2:28 pm

FED does not specifically address an injured player returning to the line up after an injury. ASA does, though and specfically states once a team goes short handed because of injury, that player cannot return.

Allowing an injured player to return opens up all kinds of situation where a slow runner could suddenly become injured, get replaced by a much faster runner on the bases, but then become miraculously healed for next at bat.
Comp

by sftblldud » Wed May 11, 2011 2:34 pm

If you're a coach and this has happened to you, you probably shouldn't be coaching. :o :lol: :lol: :o
hey rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my pants
sftblldud

by nohesitation » Wed May 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Then the re-entry must be allowed? Would you still enforce 3-3-8b, as a penalty out?
nohesitation

by nohesitation » Wed May 11, 2011 2:48 pm

sftblldud wrote:If you're a coach and this has happened to you, you probably shouldn't be coaching. :o :lol: :lol: :o

As you probably know this time of year Varsity is picking the JV and FS teams dry. I see a lot of games with 9.
nohesitation

by Bretman » Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm

FED is kind of vague on this point- certainly not as crystal clear as ASA where it's in black and white that the injured player may not return.

I would say that in FED she may not. I would base that on my reading of rule 3-3-8 itself.

The rule says that when the player who could not continue is scheduled to bat, an out shall be called. Take that provision at face value. SHALL means MUST. It doesn't say "until she returns" or "unless she returns" or even that "she may return". I would apply that to each of the batter's at-bats throughout he remainder of the game.

Further under the rule- part of which you didn't quote- item "d" says that once a team has gone short-handed, another eligible player may fill the empty space in the line-up. I think that provision covers exactly who may fill this spot. It doesn't say "another eligible player OR the injured player". I take this to mean ONLY another player may fill the spot.

This could all be cleared up if FED added a single sentence in that rule that said the injured player either may or may not return to the game. Absent that statement, my interpretation is that she may not.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by nohesitation » Wed May 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Bretman wrote:FED is kind of vague on this point- certainly not as crystal clear as ASA where it's in black and white that the injured player may not return.

I would say that in FED she may not. I would base that on my reading of rule 3-3-8 itself.

The rule says that when the player who could not continue is scheduled to bat, an out shall be called. Take that provision at face value. SHALL means MUST. It doesn't say "until she returns" or "unless she returns" or even that "she may return". I would apply that to each of the batter's at-bats throughout he remainder of the game.

Further under the rule- part of which you didn't quote- item "d" says that once a team has gone short-handed, another eligible player may fill the empty space in the line-up. I think that provision covers exactly who may fill this spot. It doesn't say "another eligible player OR the injured player". I take this to mean ONLY another player may fill the spot.

This could all be cleared up if FED added a single sentence in that rule that said the injured player either may or may not return to the game. Absent that statement, my interpretation is that she may not.

So you wouldn’t allow her to re-enter if she is removed for “injury” reasons.

What if she is removed for the blood rule, 3-3 Art 10? Could she re-enter then?
nohesitation

by Bretman » Wed May 11, 2011 6:26 pm

I obviously would allow a re-entry under the "Blood Rule". That is a separate rule that specifically says the player may re-enter.
Bretman

by nohesitation » Wed May 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Bretman wrote:I obviously would allow a re-entry under the "Blood Rule". That is a separate rule that specifically says the player may re-enter.

Ok, Would you allow her to re-enter before her next at-bat and enforce out penalty as in 3-3-8b? Or just let her bat?
nohesitation

by Bretman » Thu May 12, 2011 7:05 pm

You're mixing together two different rules.

Under 3-3-8 I would not allow a player who left the game to re-enter. She is, in essense, disqualified.

A player who has left the game under the "blood rule" 3-3-10 may re-enter (assuming that she has re-entry rights left) at any point in the game.
Bretman

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner