Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Blue with an Attitude?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Fan and bank » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 am

OK. Blue can eject players and coaches but who is there to make sure the blue is profesional and not pushing buttons.

We watched a coach that was right ask a question only to have the Blue turn his back on him and then in the next inning have a conversation with the other teams base coach right by his digout making comments indirectly to the already frustrated coach. The unpire ejected the coach and then the UIC puts coach back in only to have the umpire continue to pop off. After the blue made a bad call that even the other team was laughing about the coach finally ejected himself.

With DD playing this game for 3 years we have seen a bunch of good and bad blues but never have seen anyone as power hungry as this idiot.

So who does the coach go to to make a complaint. Obviously the UIC is his buddy and isn't going to listen to a frustrated coach. maybe their needs to be a body that is not part of the crew.
Fan and bank

by HugoTafurst » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 am

Fan and bank wrote:OK. Blue can eject players and coaches but who is there to make sure the blue is profesional and not pushing buttons.

We watched a coach that was right ask a question only to have the Blue turn his back on him and then in the next inning have a conversation with the other teams base coach right by his digout making comments indirectly to the already frustrated coach. The unpire ejected the coach and then the UIC puts coach back in only to have the umpire continue to pop off. After the blue made a bad call that even the other team was laughing about the coach finally ejected himself.

With DD playing this game for 3 years we have seen a bunch of good and bad blues but never have seen anyone as power hungry as this idiot.

So who does the coach go to to make a complaint. Obviously the UIC is his buddy and isn't going to listen to a frustrated coach. maybe their needs to be a body that is not part of the crew.

First to the UIC
Then to the TD
If still unsatisfied, either have coach learn to deal with it - sometimes life is tough or treat it as a .lesson learned and don't enter tournaments involving these guys....... find different tournaments...

Or have coach learn to deal with it - sometimes life is tough.
HugoTafurst

by tcannizzo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:46 pm

[I dunno]

Did this occur in the first inning? You wrote that coach was already frustrated. What was coach frustrated about? Could it be that earlier in the game coach and ump had words and ump was just trying to avoid confrontation, perhaps also frsutrated?

And what "indirect" comments was ump making.
Because I KNOW coaches NEVER make indirect comments to umpires.

Is there more to this story than meets the eye?

[/I dunno]
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by MTR » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:44 am

Fan and bank wrote:OK. Blue can eject players and coaches but who is there to make sure the blue is profesional and not pushing buttons.

Not having witness this, I have no opinion on what was correct or either persons actions.

What I can say though, is that if the UIC came to a field to tell me to permit someone back in the game that I had ejected, he better be dressed to complete the game and day.

As a UIC, I would talk to the umpire AFTER the game, offer advice and any due criticism, maybe even adjust a schedule, but I'm not going to insist any ejected participant be reinstated for the game. Even if the umpire was out of line, absolutely NOTHING good can come of such action.
MTR

by Jalamander » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:06 am

Obviously the UIC is his buddy and isn't going to listen to a frustrated coach. maybe their needs to be a body that is not part of the crew.

It's obvious to me the UIC is no umpire's buddy. As UIC, you don't tell an umpire a frustrated coach has to be put back into the game.
And, obviously, the UIC did listen to the frustrated coach, because the UIC got him back in the game.
I concur with MTR.
Jalamander

by Battle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:10 pm

MTR wrote:Even if the umpire was out of line, absolutely NOTHING good can come of such action.

Ummm...No...You get rid of the umpire if you KNOW that he is out of line. Not the coach or anybody else for that matter. Just like you eject the coach if he is out of line. Not taking sides here because I too was not there but...C'mon.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by MTR » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 am

Battle wrote:
MTR wrote:Even if the umpire was out of line, absolutely NOTHING good can come of such action.

Ummm...No...You get rid of the umpire if you KNOW that he is out of line. Not the coach or anybody else for that matter. Just like you eject the coach if he is out of line. Not taking sides here because I too was not there but...C'mon.

As I noted, a UIC can adjust the schedule, literally send him/her home, but NOTHING is going to change in that game. To do so, even to think is should be, is no less irresponsible or unprofessional as you are accusing the umpire of being even though YOU or I was not there. Remember, this entire thread is based upon perception and assumptions. Doesn't make it true.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:43 am

MTR wrote:
Battle wrote:

As I noted, a UIC can adjust the schedule, literally send him/her home, but NOTHING is going to change in that game. To do so, even to think is should be, is no less irresponsible or unprofessional as you are accusing the umpire of being even though YOU or I was not there. Remember, this entire thread is based upon perception and assumptions. Doesn't make it true.

Devils advocate :

Doesn't the UIC have the authority ( over an Umpire ) to fix a wrong so that no team is at an unfair disadvantage ? Suppose an Umpire removes a bat from a game for being non approved ... Later in the SAME game, the Coach has proof that the Umpire was wrong and appeals to the Umpire and then the UIC ... Does the UIC tell the Umpire to let that bat be used in the game or just allow that bat in subsequent games ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Fan and bank » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 am

I guess the over all result is that the UIC and then the TD are the only channels for complaints. The thing I learned from this is that some of these TD's and Umpire Orgs are very tight. The coach I watched melt down had plenty of chances to regain his composure but kept letting an umpire that had a power trip complex keep pushing his buttons. Moral of story is that you don't have any recourse if you are the one on the outside. So just shut up and get your team to play up to the situation.

For all you Blues that are reading. Please remember that you are not the game. Remember the bad call in the World Series. The blue could have been a jerk but instead he made it right and the situation went from something that could have ruined jobs to a very possitive leason on character. If you have to be a complete jack hole at a kids event then you really must have personal issues.... Go get a real job.
Fan and bank

by BenAround » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:49 am

Go get a real job

That's funny.

PS, This is why they wear masks:
I think, that I shall try to do the utmost to be new today
BenAround

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner