Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Close mouth blue!

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Iluvblue » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:33 am

So yesterday kicks off the season for 2 HS teams. Our team (Johansen) is the local flavor of the month after having a great 2010 and returning almost the entire team. We have gotten some great pub in the paper, and debuted at number 5 in Calhi sports DI state rankings.

So before the game, the opposing coach is talking to his team and says something like, " Lets go play some great ball. It will be great to get a win." The umpires are in his dugout at this point checking bats and helmets and one of the umpires replies to him... "Yeah Right." Basically saying his team has no chance. Now luckily this coach is a great guy and pretty calm, but had that been in my dugout and that guy popped off like that to me. Id probably have been ejected before the game started.

Now as soon as a close play goes against the other coach, what is the guy thinking?? That the blue has a preference on who wins. Keep your thoughts to yourself blue, you just make life hard on yourself. Not to mention totally unprofessional.
Iluvblue

by Iluvblue » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:39 am

We did:0

Pitcher had a perfect game with 1 out in the 7th. Great start to season.... and though Blue was correct, you just dont make a comment like that.
Iluvblue

by chinamigarden » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Is it possible that they know each other and this is typical banter for them?

Even then I wouldn't want the girls to hear that sort of stuff, and it should be kept to each other
chinamigarden

by Iluvblue » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:38 pm

If they knew each other, and they were joking around, I doubt the coach would have been making the point about the comment to the plate blue before we started, which was the only reason i knew it was said.

By the way, we had one of the best HP umpires around, and the guy in the field did good job also. Just no need for a pretty good umpire to lose any respect from a coach by making a comment like that.
Iluvblue

by CheckWriter » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:56 pm

There is one ump in our parts that is particularly terrible.

Last week, he told my DD playing SS that she had to move because she was in his way and he would probably run her over if he had to make a call.

Two other highlights from another game a couple of years ago:

He kept stopping the game to make the opposing pitcher tuck in her shirt when it was clear it was was because she was overweight, probably had the largest uniform her school had and that shirt was just not going to stay tucked in for more than about 6 - 8 pitches. This happened all but one inning.

He had latched on to some other similar "infraction" that called attention to himself (happens almost every game with him) and the parents kept giving the "come on blue, let 'em play the game" (coming form both sides), he walked over to the fence in front of the middle of one of the bleachers and said "Everybody in this half of the bleachers is ejected" THen he stood there for 10 or 15 minutes until moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas, etc, about 25 people, walked far enough away where he was comfortable they couldn't watch the game.

Every time I see him, I wonder what's coming next.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:24 pm

CheckWriter wrote:There is one ump in our parts that is particularly terrible.

Last week, he told my DD playing SS that she had to move because she was in his way and he would probably run her over if he had to make a call.

Two other highlights from another game a couple of years ago:

He kept stopping the game to make the opposing pitcher tuck in her shirt when it was clear it was was because she was overweight, probably had the largest uniform her school had and that shirt was just not going to stay tucked in for more than about 6 - 8 pitches. This happened all but one inning.

He had latched on to some other similar "infraction" that called attention to himself (happens almost every game with him) and the parents kept giving the "come on blue, let 'em play the game" (coming form both sides), he walked over to the fence in front of the middle of one of the bleachers and said "Everybody in this half of the bleachers is ejected" THen he stood there for 10 or 15 minutes until moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas, etc, about 25 people, walked far enough away where he was comfortable they couldn't watch the game.

Every time I see him, I wonder what's coming next.

That is not an umpire, it is an idiot who got ahold of an umpire's uniform.
MTR

by vcblue » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Sounds like the guy I worked with this weekend. Kept on the ladies for all the ticky tacky stuff, overly cautious about liability, and a strike zone so tight that the third base coach in the bottom of 1 told the batter up there was no need to swing at the ball when it hits the outside corner. Wait for your sweet spot. I gave an inner chuckle, but the joke was on me because the batters went deep in the count and the game went 2.5 hours.
vcblue

Return to The Umpire Corner