Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Field Ump's positioning

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by coolstuff » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:50 am

There have been many times when I felt - and many others I've heard make similar comments - that the field ump is out of position to make the correct call. Here are two situations.

1. R1 on third. The field ump is positioned behind third base and a few steps away from the foul line.

2. R1 on first. The field up is behind second, a few steps shaded toward first.

In example (1), I feel that the plate ump has the runner on third, and the field ump should be over at first.

In example (2), I feel that the field ump should be closer to first than second, and ready to run over to second if a play develops there.

As my ASA ump friend says, "They should be following the ball." But I think some field umps are lazy and don't want to run to the play, so they cheat a little and try to cover too much with the least amount of movement. I don't mean to be discriminatory here but it seems the field umps that have more girth seem to be the laziest. :o
coolstuff

by NM FP Ump » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:25 am

In example (1), the correct position is behind the SS (F6), shifted toward the right shoulder. But it all depends on numerous variables (speed of the runners on base, possible pick off attempt at 3rd, speed of the batter, defensive alignments, etc.). The PU does have the lead runner responsibilities when the ball is batted, but the BU has the throw back on the lead runner. It will also be much easier for the BU to view the tag up on the fly ball if the BU is positioned near the runner at 3rd.

In example (2), the correct position is behind the 2nd basemeam (F4) shifted toward the left shoulder, but again it all depends on numerous variables (see above).

I think your last sentence may have hit it on the head, though. The more agile the umpire, the better his position, and I'm generalizing there. I feel that you are doing the teams a disservice if you can't run the bases with the same speed as the level you are calling. That being said, experince also comes into play when calling bases. Knowing where the play is going and being in position to make the call makes up for any lack of agility.

I am 48 years old and I can beat MOST of the girls around the bases, but I have an easier path than they do. :lol:
Last edited by NM FP Ump on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
NM FP Ump

by coolstuff » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:32 am

Thanks for being very gentle in telling me I'm wrong! Now I have two less things to get upset about during games.
coolstuff

by bigsig » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Depends on the sactioning body. In ASA teaches that the BU has the first play in the infield. Also depends on the number of runners, for example, if it's just the BR, the BU has her all the way to 3B. If there are multiple runners, the BU has the lead runner to 2B, then picks up all of the trail runners. The PU picks up the lead runner at 3B and home. Positioning varies as well. While ASA has the BU behind SS with runners on 2B or 3B, others have BU behind 2B with a runner on 3B believing it is a better position to call pickoff @ 3B and closer to 1B for call there.

By the way, I'm 6'2" 250 and 61. I can't outrun most of the girls on varsity, but proper positioning, correct angles, and hustle seem to work for me.
bigsig

by skahtboi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:34 pm

coolstuff wrote:There have been many times when I felt - and many others I've heard make similar comments - that the field ump is out of position to make the correct call. Here are two situations.

1. R1 on third. The field ump is positioned behind third base and a few steps away from the foul line.

2. R1 on first. The field up is behind second, a few steps shaded toward first.

In example (1), I feel that the plate ump has the runner on third, and the field ump should be over at first.

In example (2), I feel that the field ump should be closer to first than second, and ready to run over to second if a play develops there.

As my ASA ump friend says, "They should be following the ball." But I think some field umps are lazy and don't want to run to the play, so they cheat a little and try to cover too much with the least amount of movement. I don't mean to be discriminatory here but it seems the field umps that have more girth seem to be the laziest. :o

And for future reference, it is base umpire.
skahtboi

Return to The Umpire Corner