Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Worst Call in Moline !?! MG vs Birm Mustangs

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:05 am

slugger wrote:My post said that the 3B umpire was angry that he went to the umpire behind the plate about the play and asked for help (out of courtesy to the coach that asked for it)..When umpires do that, there is a protocol for how you ask your partners for help. One way lets your partners know you saw it clearly and are asking for help to make the coach happy but you need to support me on the call i made. "I got a safe on the play as the fielder never had possession of the ball." Or you go to your partners and are really wanting to know if they saw something different b/c you were blocked or aren't totally sure of the play "From my angle it appeared like there was a bobble. Did you have a better angle and see anything differently

SNIP for brevity

What a load of crap. If that is what your friend believes, he needs to get off the field and stay away from the game. For that matter, I'm not aware of any quality sports official which would buy into this bush league mechanic. Simply stated, if you don't want an honest answer, don't ask the question. If you do ask the question and don't like the answer, don't change the call! But then again, you shouldn't have asked the question. If the umpire is not smart enough to hold the conversation privately, the umpire has no complaint if they end up looking like an a$$.

An umpire who acts like this will find it hard to get real umpires to work with them. The only true part is that there is a manner in which you ask for additional information, but that is a matter of specifics, not a general "what have you got?"
MTR

by Sam » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:19 am

Bretman wrote:
vcblue wrote:Read the RS again and then watch the video. RS 13 clearly states when the ball/runner/player arrive at the same time you don't have a crash, OBS, or INT. Only a IC. The video clearly shows the ball/runner/player arriving at the same time.

Don't need to read it again, because I already understand that the "Crash Rule" applies to tag plays, not to fielders in the act of fielding a batted ball.

It doesn't matter anyway.....the BR is clearly inside the baseline....you can't crash when you are burning inside the baseline and making contact with a fielder.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Jalamander » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:52 pm

Sam wrote:It doesn't matter anyway.....the BR is clearly inside the baseline....you can't crash when you are burning inside the baseline and making contact with a fielder.

:lol: Man! I am sooo glad someone finally quoted a rule. By the way, what rule were you quoting? :lol:
Jalamander

by Sam » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Jalamander wrote:
Sam wrote:It doesn't matter anyway.....the BR is clearly inside the baseline....you can't crash when you are burning inside the baseline and making contact with a fielder.

:lol: Man! I am sooo glad someone finally quoted a rule. By the way, what rule were you quoting? :lol:

I've got a 2006 rule book, but 8.2.F.2. Batter-Runner is out when the batter-urnner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by clintbos » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:03 pm

This thread is ludicrous. I have one word for any umpire that does not rule this simple interference.....LOGIC... Doesn't even require 1 page of post. Any umpire that disagrees with this ruling needs to hang up there mask. They get caught up in supplements and handouts and clinics BLAH BLAH... I umpired baseball and softball for 10 years and never went to clinics or read supplements BLAH BLAH.. I used LOGIC.. and my experience of playing the game all my life. Logic tells you a fielder has every right to field the ball without interference from a Batter/Runner....PERIOD Just as a Runner has every right to the Bag/Baseline when there is no play being made on her. Come on guys. The rule is for fairness. Any umpires first question to themselves is "Was that fair for the play to happen that way" and usually you will get the call right.

As far as not protesting the play because it was a judgement call... FIRE THE UMPIRE!!!!!!!!

The coach should have said....Blue I got a fielder with a broken eye socket, I got a runner with a blown out knee, you called the ball fair.. clearly their was INTERFERENCE and the injuries prove it.

And while on the subject...I cannot stand these days how organizations fire/ban coaches for getting ejected. Too many umpires do not know what they are doing and a coach can't even do anything about it for fear of penalties. UIC and TD's need to do a better job of policing the umpires. I feel better now...

My latest tyrade...My team in the field with a girl on first with 1 out. 2-2 count on batter. Batter foul tips the ball and my catcher hangs(catches the ball) on to it and throws the ball to second for the tag out.. Double Play inning over...wait PU calls foul ball and sends runner back to first. Coach is told if he doesn't accept the call he will forfeit the game.. That umpire should hang up his mask..
Last edited by clintbos on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clintbos

by clintbos » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:21 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
slugger wrote:My post said that the 3B umpire was angry that he went to the umpire behind the plate about the play and asked for help (out of courtesy to the coach that asked for it)..When umpires do that, there is a protocol for how you ask your partners for help. One way lets your partners know you saw it clearly and are asking for help to make the coach happy but you need to support me on the call i made. "I got a safe on the play as the fielder never had possession of the ball." Or you go to your partners and are really wanting to know if they saw something different b/c you were blocked or aren't totally sure of the play "From my angle it appeared like there was a bobble. Did you have a better angle and see anything differently?"

Well, I hate to break it to you but this is a complete fabrication/myth for FP softball. In fact, if you go for help on a judgement call you better damn well have missed something due to position/event or for certain specific reasons. This is not tolerated at all at national level umpiring. There is no competent umpire that I know that engages in this type of act or could get away with it with any competent partner.

In the end, if you go to your partner for help, you're saying "what do you have?"
That question is not even allowed.
I have no clue where you get this stuff.

It's not a matter of "caving", it's a matter of mechanics and sometimes you eat sh.t when your partner doesn't support you.

You are 100% wrong in your opinion of national quality level officiating and what is permitted, expected, taught, or advocated.

I agree with wadeintothem, It's all about getting the call right. As far as judgement calls go, I never asked an umpire for help because the coach asked me too. I would make my call and immediately ask for help if I thought the other umpire had a better angle. If I was confused on a rule you better believe that I would get the other umpires help. In fact, back then the PU was UIC and I often overruled FU decisions whether he asked for help or not. Never overuled a judgement call if he didn't ask for it. And yeah I got overruled some when I asked for help. You don't take it personally.
clintbos

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner