Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Running when you K...

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by EzOut.EzOut » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:00 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
SnocatzDad wrote:
ocsoftball wrote:The coach should be fired for doing this to his kids :roll:

That's a little extreme. I think the rounding is definitely taking it too far, but I'd rather fire all the coaches that let the girls hang their head after a strike out and mope back the dugout even when they had a chance to advance to first base on a dropped third strike, I see that way more than I see kids running on a dropped third strike when it's occupied with less than 2 outs.

Girls should definitely be taught to be aware of the game situation, but If I had to choose, I would rather have girls always running to first on strike three, rather than never running on strike three.

Which is exactly what this Coach, or Coaches are trying to drive home ( although somewhat extreme ) ... I have found myself scrutinized over teaching techniques that I have employed as well ... Sometimes you just gotta go with what works ...

I like that the players are being taught to run on a swinging 3rd strike (especially for slappers, they're moving anyways) but teaching them to automatically round first base just doesn't make any sense. They should be running straight through the safety base.
EzOut.EzOut

by 2bucketdad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:42 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
2bucketdad wrote:I think we are going to start making our girls do it on every third strike, and if it isnt a dropped third strike the first base coach can just point to the foul pole and they can sprint out touch the pole and jog back to the dugout...

Why not just have them continue around the outfield fence, stop at the concession stand and pick up a couple weinies & a soft drink - then jog back :lol:

Thats a good one, I could just stand in the first base coaches box and when they run by hand them a 5 spot, and say chilli mustard and onions, and a large mt dew!
2bucketdad

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:18 am

D3 NCAA double banger over the weekend ... The visiting team had every player upon going down on strikes break for first base ... They were not excessive or rounding the bag, caused no delay and the first base Coach was letting them know whether there was a drop or not ... But, at very least they all did a fast jog through, or almost to the 1st base bag ... Over two games there were 2 D3K's and they reached safely once ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Gaphitter14 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Obviously the other coach seems to be trying to draw a throw that is not necessary. Your catcher should always know the situation and how many outs there are anyways and know a throw is not needed.
Gaphitter14
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner