Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Ear piercings ASA

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by umpinva » Wed May 26, 2010 5:36 am

Spazsdad wrote:That will teach her to turn her head :lol: :lol:

Lesson could be no bling on the team. Nope, will never work.....makes too much sense. :o
umpinva

by AceCream » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:46 pm

ASAPAump wrote:The only thing regarding jewelry in the rule book is the following:

3-6-F. Exposed jewelry, which is judged by the umpire to be dangerous, must be removed and may not be worn during the game. Medical alert bracelets or necklaces are not considered jewelry. If worn, they must be taped to the body so the medical alert information remains visible.

So, I guess your umpire deemed the studs to not be "dangerous." Personally, I would rather not see a girl's earring be ripped out of her ear, but that's just me...

Even if it is not the rule of the game, you should remove all the jewelry. It is too dangerous if you wear your jewelry during the game. But a medical alert system must not be removed from your body.
Last edited by AceCream on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
AceCream

by MTR » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:24 am

AceCream wrote:Even if it is not the rule of the game, you should remove all the jewelry. It is too dangerous if you wear your jewelry during the game because you can remove it in an unusual accident

I agree 100% and do remove all jewelry before walking on the field. However, I am not the player's mother.

If it is not dangerous to another participant, I'm not going to presume I know better what is or is not proper for the player.
MTR

by Tucson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:44 pm

The piercings that I never liked were the belly button ones. They can have those stupid things and really tear up the belly button, sliding on their stomaches.

My DD is 21 and has one and I still don't like it.

OT, my granddaughter got her ears pierced at age 3 months at the pediatrician's office. I was like "What?"
Tucson

by MTR » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:51 am

Tucson wrote:OT, my granddaughter got her ears pierced at age 3 months at the pediatrician's office. I was like "What?"

But the bigger question is, did the insurance cover it or do we need to call Washington? ;)
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:10 am

MTR wrote:
Tucson wrote:OT, my granddaughter got her ears pierced at age 3 months at the pediatrician's office. I was like "What?"

But the bigger question is, did the insurance cover it or do we need to call Washington? ;)

A few years back, a woman around Lynchburg, VA found an orphaned white tail deer fawn ... she bottle fed it and raised it ... at some point she had its ears pierced for some diamond studs ... I'm pretty sure insurance didn't cover it but she was brought up on animal cruelty charges ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Iluvblue » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:52 am

Even if it is not the rule of the game, you should remove all the jewelry. It is too dangerous if you wear your jewelry during the game. But a medical alert system must not be removed from your body.

If it is so dangerous, how do the college girls wear jewelry and not have injuries all the time? Probably 80%(Just a guess) of college players have pierced ears on the field.I have never seen it happen. Baseball players wear bling bling necklaces that dangle all over and I have also never seen an injury occur from that. Can it happen? Obviously so, but I dont think the danger is near as great as some are hyping.
Iluvblue

by wadeintothem » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:04 pm

girlerl wrote:Last year at 14u Nationals in Georgia the girls were allowed to wear stud earrings. Is this a new rule? I don't have the 2010 ASA rule book in front of me. I am just wondering because my daughter wants to get her ears pierced for the first time, and I told her she had to wait until after High School was over. Not sure if I want to be taking earring in and out right now, or should we wait until Aug.

National Staff are fairly clear on this issue, and he was very clear in Georgia, and there is actually a reason ASA rules do not state "NO JEWELRY".. that would be an easy sentence to add.

It's the many others who mess it up. In my area I am in the minority in that I do not over officiate this issue. I know one in particular who works a ton of college ball but when he steps on an ASA ball field he becomes the uniform inspector general.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by ASAPAump » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:23 am

Wade! You're back! Long time no see.
ASAPAump

by broadband » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Iluvblue wrote:

If it is so dangerous, how do the college girls wear jewelry and not have injuries all the time? Probably 80%(Just a guess) of college players have pierced ears on the field.I have never seen it happen. Baseball players wear bling bling necklaces that dangle all over and I have also never seen an injury occur from that. Can it happen? Obviously so, but I don't think the danger is near as great as some are hyping.

They are all adults, and therefore, responsible for themselves. :)
NCAA Softball Official
broadband

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner