Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Batter calling time

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:13 am

badvikingman wrote:The pitcher was getting set on the pitchers plate and waiting 5 to 10 seconds while the batter was ready. It was done for the purpose to freeze the hitter. Cat and mouse stuff. By the way, the pitcher was excellent. One of the best we have ever faced. She did not not need to play this game. Umpire should have put a stop to the nonsense or at least give the batter time.

There is nothing illegal about the pitcher taking 5 to 10 seconds ... once the hands come together she must pause not fewer than 1 second or more than 10 seconds ... If she is taking longer than 20 seconds total, the umpire can call an illegal pitch and award a ball to the batter ...
... That all being said, if the batter asks me for time and the pitcher has not started her motion I give her time unless I think it is excessive or a ploy to upset the pitcher ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by badvikingman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:15 am

The pitcher in question was Missy Penna's little sister. She is going to be better than her big sister when all is said and done.
badvikingman

by pbj2000 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:37 am

Similar question...say a batter steps into the batters box. Has her right hand up calling for time as she gets set (within 10 seconds). Pitcher pitches the ball (quick pitch) and hits the batter. Ump throws her hands up and sais "no pitch"...shouldn't the batter get awarded the base? or is it truly a no pitch? the ump didn't stop the play till the batter got hit (reaction time slow)...
Peanut Butter and Jelly baby
pbj2000

by Comp » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:59 am

Holding hand up is not actually calling time. It is a courtesy extended to the batter by the umpire, but does not have to be recognized. If the umpire called it a quick pitch, then it is in fact a no pitch and has no bearing on the batter getting hit. Wasnt there, didnt see it, cant comment on if umps reaction was delayed or not.
Comp

by pbj2000 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:22 am

Either way, it just sucked the way the batter got hit and was told...sorry kid stay in there and do it again.
Peanut Butter and Jelly baby
pbj2000

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:00 pm

pbj2000 wrote:Either way, it just sucked the way the batter got hit and was told...sorry kid stay in there and do it again.

Also ...( speaking as a newb ) ... I believe I have seen the discussion between more experienced Blues, that the Blue does not actually have to verbalize "Time" for there to be "Time" ... so he/she may have in fact granted "time" mentally prior to the pitcher starting her motion but just didn't get his/her hands up in time ... Comp, MTR & others ( WTF is Wade? ) ?...what is your take here? ... Aren't there also situations where "time out" is implied without being verbalized ? help me out here...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:07 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
pbj2000 wrote:Either way, it just sucked the way the batter got hit and was told...sorry kid stay in there and do it again.

Also ...( speaking as a newb ) ... I believe I have seen the discussion between more experienced Blues, that the Blue does not actually have to verbalize "Time" for there to be "Time" ... so he/she may have in fact granted "time" mentally prior to the pitcher starting her motion but just didn't get his/her hands up in time ... Comp, MTR & others ( WTF is Wade? ) ?...what is your take here? ... Aren't there also situations where "time out" is implied without being verbalized ? help me out here...

Just because the umpire did not get a hand up or verbalize 'time', does not mean that wasn't his/her intent.

It is purely up to the umpire to grant a request for a suspension of play.

Just a note, players and coaches cannot "call" time. Simply holding up a hand or saying, "time" or "wait" or any other perceived method of stopping play means absolutely nothing.

Speaking ASA

HOWEVER, an umpire should never call for or allow a pitch until the batter is prepared. That doesn't mean they need to wait until they get the batter's permission to continue. It means that once the umpire considers the batter in the box and aware of a possible pitch, "play" should be called. That doesn't mean that the umpire cannot rule a strike on the batter for not being prepared within the permitted 10 seconds.
MTR

by airbear » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:15 am

I have the reverse complaint. Batters calling(and receiving) time after the pitcher starts her motion. Happens all too frequently.
airbear

by NewCoach » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:22 am

My DD's been coached that once she presents to finish the pitch. Let the blue sort it out.
Luck is simply preparation meeting opportunity
NewCoach

by Jalamander » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:18 pm

NewCoach wrote:My DD's been coached that once she presents to finish the pitch. Let the blue sort it out.

Oh? And from what rulebook is this coach teaching?
Jalamander

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner