Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Player Ejection

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:33 am

greenandblue wrote:During our high school game last night....

Our defense is leaving the field after a 3rd out. Our 3rd baseman is walking between 3rd base and the pitcher's circle. The offense's runner that was on 2nd base knocks down our 3rd baseman. Our 3rd baseman gets up and pushes her. The plate umpire sees her push the runner and ejects our 3rd baseman. My question to the umpires that call high school games is... are you obligated to report the ejection to the powers that be or is it up to you to do so?

Ejections should always be reported to the appropriate authority whether a HS organization, the local league admin or whomever. Sports officials that fail or refuse to make such reports are a main cause of a shortage of sports officials.

If you do have to report it, do you have to explain that you didn't see what precipitated the cause for ejection? Oh, and the base umpire that was still standing between 2nd and 3rd didn't see it either. He claimed he was still looking at the play at first (which was the 3rd out)

How can an umpire report what wasn't seen? It really doesn't make any difference. A retalitory action is no better, nor any more excusable, than the initial act.

If any further action should be taken, it should be to address punitive action against the instigator, not back away from the action taken against a player whom obviously lacks self-control. Whether you like it or not, she did something wrong and if there are prescribed ramifications for those actions, the time of year or season should be irrelevant to their enforcement.

In this case, we are talking HS students and should not part of their education be responsibility? I know most are not going to like the answer, but like those of us in the real world already know, the Rolling Stones were correct, you can't always get what you want. Sometimes poor decisions are made and often others than the person making the decision suffer from it. If she doesn't learn this in HS, what will need to happen in the real world to make it important enough to teach them at an earlier age?
Last edited by MTR on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTR

by Coach11 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:23 am

MTR wrote:If any further action should be taken, it should be to address punitive action against the instigator, not back away from the action taken against a player whom obviously lacks self-control. Whether you like it or not, she did something wrong and if there are prescribed ramifications for those actions, the time of year or season should be irrelevant to their enforcement.

In this case, we are talking HS students and should not part of their education responsibility? I know most are not going to like the answer, but like those of us in the real world already know, the Rolling Stones were correct, you can't always get what you want. Sometimes poor decisions are made and often others than the person making the decision suffer from it. If she doesn't learn this in HS, what will need to happen in the real world to make it important enough to teach them at an earlier age?

Couldn't agree more.

If an action warrents a suspension, it shouldn't matter when the incident occurs.
Coach11

by greenandblue » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:59 pm

I didn't ask if she should have been ejected, I had asked umpires if they were obligated to report the ejection. I had also asked if they had to explain the cause for the ejection. As some umpire calls/decisions are based on judgement , I didn't know if umpires have to back up their decisions to the UIC. I saw an umpire in 18 Gold tell a pitcher that if she rolled her eyes at him one more time, she was going to get ejected. I realize that the field and the game is his while he is the umpire, as it should be, I just want to know if they are questioned about these type of decisions.
kmaca
greenandblue

by MTR » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:13 pm

greenandblue wrote:I didn't ask if she should have been ejected, I had asked umpires if they were obligated to report the ejection. I had also asked if they had to explain the cause for the ejection. As some umpire calls/decisions are based on judgement , I didn't know if umpires have to back up their decisions to the UIC. I saw an umpire in 18 Gold tell a pitcher that if she rolled her eyes at him one more time, she was going to get ejected. I realize that the field and the game is his while he is the umpire, as it should be, I just want to know if they are questioned about these type of decisions.

And those questions were answered. However, what difference would it make if they did know what happened prior to what they did see other then to justify an excuse for not having to serve an appropriate suspension?

We just covered all our bases :mrgreen:
MTR

by Cannonball » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:37 am

Umpires in our area report ejections. The video evidence is good and maybe that will work but I doubt it. I have used video evidence before but to prove unethical behavior on the part of an official. LONG STORY!
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner