Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Can't say "go home" to the runner?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by softballdad03 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Playing in a USSSA 12U tourney. Third base coach says tells the runner rounding third, "go home!" The field ump comes over to him and said, "Don't say 'home.' It distracts the other players." Coach says, "I'm telling my runner to go home." And the ump says, "You can't." Coach says, "Can I tell her to 'go'?" And the ump ignored him.

This can't be a rule, is it? Unfortunately it was one of those tourneys where games got played in different locations so there was no UIC nearby.
softballdad03

by Bretman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:19 pm

The umpire that told you this was...CLUELESS.

Not really sure what I can add beyond that because this is so stupid that I can't imagine how an umpire could think it was a rule violation. I can only hope that this umpire was a total rookie who will know better after he's been around awhile.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by softballdad03 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Unfortunately, he didn't look like a rookie. He's been at it a long while. Maybe he thinks 12U travel ball is still "developmental" but we were taken aback. But when they stop talking, it's no longer a conversation so we were left to wonder what happened.

Thanks for the reply!
softballdad03

by MarkJMillsap » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:32 pm

I would of just ignored him! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MarkJMillsap

by MTR » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:51 am

softballdad03 wrote:Playing in a USSSA 12U tourney. Third base coach says tells the runner rounding third, "go home!" The field ump comes over to him and said, "Don't say 'home.' It distracts the other players." Coach says, "I'm telling my runner to go home." And the ump says, "You can't." Coach says, "Can I tell her to 'go'?" And the ump ignored him.

This can't be a rule, is it? Unfortunately it was one of those tourneys where games got played in different locations so there was no UIC nearby.

Good possibility this is an umpire who wasn't smart enough to get the proper training and was sold a bill of goods by some coach who at one point convinced him that a 3B coach interfered with his fielders when giving a runner direction.

Next time, ask if it is a rule and when he says "yes", you say "protest". You'll find a UIC then.

OTOH, if you placed an emphasis on the word HOME with increased volume that can be construed as verbal interference if the umpire judges that you were directing your comments to someone other than the runner. :D
MTR

by umpinva » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:14 pm

softballdad03 wrote:Playing in a USSSA 12U tourney.

Where was the "tourney"?
umpinva

by BenAround » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:20 pm

MTR wrote:
softballdad03 wrote:Playing in a USSSA 12U tourney. Third base coach says tells the runner rounding third, "go home!" The field ump comes over to him and said, "Don't say 'home.' It distracts the other players." Coach says, "I'm telling my runner to go home." And the ump says, "You can't." Coach says, "Can I tell her to 'go'?" And the ump ignored him.

Good possibility this is an umpire who wasn't smart enough to get the proper training and was sold a bill of goods by some coach who at one point convinced him that a 3B coach interfered with his fielders when giving a runner direction.

Next time, ask if it is a rule and when he says "yes", you say "protest". You'll find a UIC then.

OTOH, if you placed an emphasis on the word HOME with increased volume that can be construed as verbal interference if the umpire judges that you were directing your comments to someone other than the runner. :D

I would have "chest bumped" him and started a physical altercation. :lol:
I think, that I shall try to do the utmost to be new today
BenAround

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:12 am

BenAround wrote:
MTR wrote:

I would have "chest bumped" him and started a physical altercation. :lol:

Then you would have had a new home ... and instead of softball, the game being played would be 'drop the soap' ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by DP3816 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:23 am

Another idiot umpire! My god they must grow on trees some where!
DP3816

by Bretman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:05 am

They're bred in the same forests where they grow idiot coaches...
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner