Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

AZ

ASA TROUBLES ????

by aboutthegirls » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:15 pm

I keep reading about ASA troubles in Phoenix and Tucson regarding them not being organized, poor attendance at tournaments, tournaments having to be cancelled, etc.

My question is - how do these people get the job in the first place? Who hires them - ASA? Are they voted in? Can they be voted out? Can anyone else take over (e.g. Rick and others taking over USSSA and doing a fantastic job of turning it around)

If anyone has any input on this, I'd be interested to hear about it because I just don't get it - why do they want the job if they can't organize a tournaments?

Thanks.
aboutthegirls

by dad98dd » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 pm

ASA in general has been poor for the last year and a half. Right now the main issues are lack of communication, poor customer service, and not listening to the customer about ways to improve. Overall really ASA needs to look at what USSSA and TCS have done to get the teams.
dad98dd

by Arizona99 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Looks like asa is finally pulling iout of the sand. Looks like they finally listened and are going to make it more cost effective for teams to register for just the last two months instead of making then pay for the whole year.
Arizona99

by MAD-DOG99 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:14 pm

As to your first question, I can honestly say I don't know.

ASA is constantly posting for positions and they always appear to be short handed.
A paid position for sure, but also sure not much.

I guess that leaves the question as you said, why take the job no matter the pay if you don't want to do it ?

As to the second part , I find ASA biggest problem in AZ not even communication with the customer, but themselves.

USSSA and TCS, I believe have a simple plan, run tourneys , most importantly, they know the teams and their strenghs for great scheduling and not only communicate with teams but each other,1 website, tourney TD's load info, scores etc from any location.
Very quick and updated, easy and painless for coaches to use also.

ASA has 4 websites, register ASA, Phx, Tucson and State and not 1 of them appear to know what the other is doing. In talking the the Northern ASA JOC at a tourney in Prescott, he admitted that he had no capability to enter scores on the Phx ASA site.

Currently there is no Central District (Phx) ASA JOC , just an acting one and he is from Tucson ?

It also appears that after the last central JOC left, there are some problems to be worked out , so it might be some time before Phx has anyone really in charge.

This may add to the problem too, as they have yet to get a tourney off in 10's , 12's or 14's this year so far.

In looking at all the websites too, IMO, fastpitch appears to be second fiddle to all the slow pitch announcements and activities.

Add that Tucson has gotten tourneys off, but the fields and facilities used are terrible
( another reason for Phx teams not to travel).

The Phx website has been improved and it looks as though an upcoming tourney will do well with entries, but it is slow and go for ASA in AZ right now.

Everyone in AZ is truly rooting for ASA, just a lot of times it appears all knocks on the door go unanswered.
MAD-DOG99

by jefe » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:31 am

For the life of me I cant figure out what makes AZ ASA so attractive when its not championship play and for the national berth. Charity event, I get it. Other then that ASA should be dead in fall. Especially is you are an elite team. There is alot of confusion in AZ about the roadmap to a nationals, and I mean ANY nationals not just ASA. Not all the teams/coaches,,,, but the bulk of my readings from those folks. Who cares about ASA 10U-14U in fall, other then stating that it is the seasons goal. Its clearly about your opponents/competition you play, not the association you play.

I get the feeling until ALOT MORE teams out there get onboard together and round robin friendlies there is a ton of spring cash being wasted playing meaningless fall tournies. A team with bad or no mentoring can needlessly spend alot of thier families money with very little return or reward.

JMO good luck AZ folks.
jefe

by JustPlayTheGame » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

There is an alternative to ASA's continued arrogance and failure to listen to its customers. Consider ESPN Rise (Premier) Nationals in Huntington Beach, CA. This upcoming it will include 14, 16 and 18u divisions. Last year over 100 college scouts attended.
JustPlayTheGame

by BenAround » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:02 pm

JustPlayTheGame wrote:There is an alternative to ASA's continued arrogance and failure to listen to its customers. Consider ESPN Rise (Premier) Nationals in Huntington Beach, CA. This upcoming it will include 14, 16 and 18u divisions. Last year over 100 college scouts attended.

totally, one tourny can replace an entire founding org......................... :roll:
I think, that I shall try to do the utmost to be new today
BenAround

by JustPlayTheGame » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:07 pm

BenAround: How many trips to Midland, Texas (or the like) in August -- coupled with an institutional arrogance that offends most and would bankrupt any business in a competitive marketplace -- does one need to realize that real competition for ASA may make the "800 lb. Gorilla" more responsive to fastpitch softball.

Premier in one year was able to secure a television contract, which ASA said for years they were unable to do, and present a National Tournament in Huntington Beach, CA for 16 and 18u that attracted many of the best teams in the Country and more than 100 college scouts. Of course there were things that could be done better; but for a first year tournament, Kudos to the organizers.

Perhaps Premier will make ASA a better organization for fastpitch softball, or the two will merge. But I for one am glad that someone stopped just complaining about ASA and is doing something about it.
JustPlayTheGame

Return to AZ