Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Catchers: Mask or Unmask ???

What's on your mind?

by dittoz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Something my coach and I have endless debates on;

A ball is hit somewhere and a close play is coming at the plate.
With plenty of time to see it coming, Catcher pulls mask off or keeps it on?

Why?
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by pixsguy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:17 pm

dd is a catcher...we used to have her throw helmet off to get a good look at ball coming in...but...batter is running with helmet and mask and if they collide, catcher is toast...we now teach cather to keep mask on in case of impact...they can see fine outta those new hockey style helmets...only time we want that helmet tosse is on a popup...
pixsguy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by greenandblue » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Dittoz----- My DD started catching when she was nine, and at that age, we urged her to take off the mask to be able to see everything. Well, we were wrong and 9 years later it is now a bad habit and she has had her bell rung way too many times by girls twice her size. We've tried to emphasize how badly she could get hurt, but she tells us she doesn't even remember yanking it off when there's going to be a play at the plate. And to make matters worse, now with metal cleats being used we worry about a cleat to the face. So.... if it's not too late, I would suggest making a habit of leaving it on.
kmaca
greenandblue

by Lefty's Dad » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:48 pm

DD keeps hers on for pop-ups and has zero problem locating the ball. For the plays at the plate, I kind of wish that she would keep it on but she takes it off and holds it until she knows the play is coming her way, then she tosses it away. She says she does this so that she can be heard by the infielders when she is yelling and so far it has seemed to work. Although, next year those runners will not only be wearing helmets but steel cleats as well, pretty scary for a Dad. Sometimes I wish I had never let her put that gear on but she wouldn't have it any other way. 8-)
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
Lefty's Dad

by Dad » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:55 pm

dd always leaves hers on. Even when cathing pop ups. Like what has been said, she may as well be protected, and has no visability issues. I have seen helmets that get thrown alot crack. Also some catchers get so worried about getting rid of the helmet they do that insted of making the play.
Dad

by Tucson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm

Leave it on. I don't have them take it off at all anymore.
Tucson

by catchingcoach » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:57 pm

I average 2-3 emails each year from around the country with horror stories about injuries at the plate due to taking the mask off. Broken noses, knocked out teath, eyes poked.

No reason to take it off. The catcher just caught a 55mph pitch from 40 feet without any problem, she can see a throw coming from an infielder just fine.

Depending on the mask the pop up is the only time I suggest taking the mask off. With the masks getting better every year some girls find no vision problem at all with seeing balls over head.

Coach Weaver
New England Catching Camp
Coach Weaver
www.catchingcamp.com
Facebook: New England Catching Camp
Phil 4:13
catchingcoach

by Kat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Mine keeps hers on and always has. She doesnt have problems with vision.
Kat

by watcher » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:00 pm

LOL, My DD is a 16yo-6'1" 185lb catcher, I would think the runner better make sure her chinstrap is nice & tight. She does keep the mask on.
watcher

by wadeintothem » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:49 pm

As a former catcher who has eaten cleats and an umpire who has seen em eat cleats.. please teach them to keep it on.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions