Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

nutty grampas

What's on your mind?

by dusty » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:35 am

Awesome! I'll get the old regulars to intentionally blind themselves reading my posts! :lol:

By the time older dd got to her mid- HS years and was driving herself to practice and tournaments, grampa turned his attention to younger dd in a big way. He always wanted to ride along to practices and help out and fortunately the 14u coach we had was very cool about letting him help out. I privately thanked him once for letting him help out and the coach said he was only too happy to do it as his father never got to see his dd play ball at all.

The parents on our team got a full dose of him at tourneys. He'd have a few chants and slogans he would yell out at the top of his lungs and I would always get these quizzical looks from parents as he yelled out batting tips to their dd's. I used to just look back at them laughing and shrugging. One of his go-to tips when he saw our batters pull foul balls was to tell them to close their stance so much that even though they couldn't see the pitcher or the ball coming the same foul ball they just hit would turn into a line drive over the shortstops head. Now that your a grampa-coach Arto, there's a tip for you to use with your team. Your welcome. :D

A few of the dad's and I were talking between games and chuckling over grampa's antics when one of them tells me that he noticed how quick I was to point out that he was my FIL and not my dad so he said he was constantly referring to him only as "grampa dusty" so that name would stick, which it did. The biggest character on our team that year, and likely future nutty grandma, was a power hitting 3b who hit a walk off HR in the semifinal against a team we had some pregame parental chippiness with (one of those stupid arguments over who gets the outfield warmup space). She goes through the usual home plate celebration with her teammates and then comes over to the parents section behind the backstop and yells, "where's grampa dusty?!" and proceeds to give him a big, dirty, sweaty bear hug.

Maybe this story is more mushy and sentimental than it is funny. I remember it being more funny than it reads so I guess you had to be there but Squirrel's marching orders were to post something so there it is. I've got one more in me about this guy and dd's college recruiting that I'll get back to latter. Feel free to mock, ignore, or add your own story and no need to buck HB tradition by staying on-topic.
dusty

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions