Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

What do you think of this call?

What's on your mind?

by slapper » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:28 pm

I was watching a tournament this weekend where the umpire called a "Dead Ball" "No Pitch" because the catcher was set up outside the box. He then awarded the runner on 1st a free base. The coach went nuts and said I was setting her up outside for an outside pitch.
slapper

by umpinva » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:44 pm

slapper wrote:I was watching a tournament this weekend where the umpire called a "Dead Ball" "No Pitch" because the catcher was set up outside the box. He then awarded the runner on 1st a free base. The coach went nuts and said I was setting her up outside for an outside pitch.

Which rules was the game played under?
umpinva

by ice_67 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:06 pm

If ASA, I believe the catcher's box goes from the outside of the left batters box to the outside of the right batters box.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by slapper » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:44 pm

The tournamet was using USFA rules.
slapper

by wadeintothem » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm not sure what the USFA is.. but undoubtedly it's a horrible call.

Let me know how the protest turns out.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Spazsdad wrote:I may be mistaken but I thought the catcher had to setup between the inside lines of the batter's boxes before the pitch and then could move outside once the pitch was released. This point was brought up on an intentional walk.

You CAN have an IP on a catcher on an Intentional walk ( :roll: ) .. but my impression from the post that this was a pitch out set up... It would be virtually impossible to be set up outside a Softball catchers box and be in any reasonable position to receive the pitch. You are correct, once the pitch is released (ASA and NFHS), the catcher can move outside.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by slapper » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:18 pm

The TD was called and when he arrived the umpire was removed from the game. It seems he is also a head coach for a diiferent team in the same organization as the the other team. A new ump was brought in and a parent asked her what the rule is for setting up outside the box. She said it could not be done. The parent then asked what about intentional walks and she said there is no such thing as intentional walks in softball. I was stunned.
slapper

by wadeintothem » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:26 pm

slapper wrote:The TD was called and when he arrived the umpire was removed from the game. It seems he is also a head coach for a diiferent team in the same organization as the the other team. A new ump was brought in and a parent asked her what the rule is for setting up outside the box. She said it could not be done. The parent then asked what about intentional walks and she said there is no such thing as intentional walks in softball. I was stunned.

Well, she could be being technical (I hope). In NFHS and NCAA (I believe) BB, you dont have to throw the ball on an intentional walk. You just declare it and they take their base.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by slapper » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:32 pm

The whole thing was funny. The parents yelling at the ump when they found out he was with the same organization as the other team. Him being removed from the field in the middle of the game. The coach yelling she wanted to start the game over. (they were losing) The new ump telling them there was no such thing as an intentional walk. The game took forever.
slapper

by wadeintothem » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:45 am

Spazsdad wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:I may be mistaken but I thought the catcher had to setup between the inside lines of the batter's boxes before the pitch and then could move outside once the pitch was released. This point was brought up on an intentional walk.

You CAN have an IP on a catcher on an Intentional walk ( :roll: ) .. but my impression from the post that this was a pitch out set up... It would be virtually impossible to be set up outside a Softball catchers box and be in any reasonable position to receive the pitch. You are correct, once the pitch is released (ASA and NFHS), the catcher can move outside.

Hey Wade, why the eye roll? Am I missing something or did I once again say something stupid.

The eye roll is because I've NEVER seen the call on that be a good one. Nothing you said.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions