Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Unsatisfactory Tournament Events

What's on your mind?

by sdiamond » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:40 am

There are several organizations putting on tournaments all over the country. Travel Teams pay good money to attend these events. With competition from TCS,AFA,PGF and USSSA and differences in entry fees one would think these organizations would make their event appealing.

The TCS and PGF events I attended this year were played at very low quality fields and for the first time in 35 years of attending and coaching youth sporting events I had to go to a PGF official about an umpire so bad that even the team we were playing against couldnt believe the calls he was making. The PGF Official just shrugged it off. The PGF Qualifier in Stockton was played at very poor fields and I dont even know why Stockton was picked for a qualifying event. Stockton has one of the highest crime rates in California and while having lunch at an eatery one afternoon Stockton Police told us to be very careful at the fields we were playing at they have had alot of vehicle burglaries there. We even had a shooting right outside our Hotel window at a sweet 16 birthday party being held at the hotel.

The TCS World Series in Reno also had some poor quality fields and the once beautiful Chaparral Turf facility was poorly maintained. With over 88% of the teams being from California why do they hold this event in Reno?

The AFA Nationals held in Fontana unfortunately didnt have alot of teams playing but their organization of this event and their choice of fields is by far the best of any so called major event this year. Maybe the 995.00 entry fee scared some, but PGF which was being held the same time in Huntington Beach and Irvine was 2075.00.

The USSSA Nationals are being held at BLD in Perris, West Covina and Chino Hills.(675.00 Team entry fee) Theres a 10.00 gate fee per day (normally 5.00) however due to the heat this week BLD is allowing patrons to bring in small ice chests with vitamin water and fruit. The fields have been groomed nice but the scheduling is very poor. Some teams are traveling 50 plus miles to this event in Perris just to play one game a day? The updates of games for those who follow are not timely at all and at the Perris facility the USSSA booth doesnt even have a tournament bracket posted and updated.

One of these organizations has to step up and take the lead in giving travel teams their moneys worth. I know im not the only one who feels this way but im the only one brave enough to say something in a public forum. I understand these organizations are NOT non profit but if they want to succeed they need to do more than show a tournament on TV or claim to be the TOP tournament organization in the Country.

Competition makes others better, lets see if the organizers want to listen or is it just about the money knowing if you put it on they will come?
sdiamond
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 am

Per original post...did you go anywhere that made you happy?
If not you may want to seek another sport.

Its softball...get used to sketchy fields, iffy parking lots, crummy hotels in some places IF YOU LET THEM pick them in some cases ...and crappy umps (that applies to BIG name college stuff also) 8-)
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:13 am

I like it when the home ump tells the field ump where to position himself. :lol:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:39 pm

sdiamond wrote:There are several organizations putting on tournaments all over the country. Travel Teams pay good money to attend these events. With competition from TCS,AFA,PGF and USSSA and differences in entry fees one would think these organizations would make their event appealing.

The TCS and PGF events I attended this year were played at very low quality fields and for the first time in 35 years of attending and coaching youth sporting events I had to go to a PGF official about an umpire so bad that even the team we were playing against couldnt believe the calls he was making. The PGF Official just shrugged it off. The PGF Qualifier in Stockton was played at very poor fields and I dont even know why Stockton was picked for a qualifying event. Stockton has one of the highest crime rates in California and while having lunch at an eatery one afternoon Stockton Police told us to be very careful at the fields we were playing at they have had alot of vehicle burglaries there. We even had a shooting right outside our Hotel window at a sweet 16 birthday party being held at the hotel.

The TCS World Series in Reno also had some poor quality fields and the once beautiful Chaparral Turf facility was poorly maintained. With over 88% of the teams being from California why do they hold this event in Reno?

The AFA Nationals held in Fontana unfortunately didnt have alot of teams playing but their organization of this event and their choice of fields is by far the best of any so called major event this year. Maybe the 995.00 entry fee scared some, but PGF which was being held the same time in Huntington Beach and Irvine was 2075.00.

The USSSA Nationals are being held at BLD in Perris, West Covina and Chino Hills.(675.00 Team entry fee) Theres a 10.00 gate fee per day (normally 5.00) however due to the heat this week BLD is allowing patrons to bring in small ice chests with vitamin water and fruit. The fields have been groomed nice but the scheduling is very poor. Some teams are traveling 50 plus miles to this event in Perris just to play one game a day? The updates of games for those who follow are not timely at all and at the Perris facility the USSSA booth doesnt even have a tournament bracket posted and updated.

One of these organizations has to step up and take the lead in giving travel teams their moneys worth. I know im not the only one who feels this way but im the only one brave enough to say something in a public forum. I understand these organizations are NOT non profit but if they want to succeed they need to do more than show a tournament on TV or claim to be the TOP tournament organization in the Country.

Competition makes others better, lets see if the organizers want to listen or is it just about the money knowing if you put it on they will come?

At least it's near an airport. That's what really matters.... :roll: :mrgreen:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by sdiamond » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Nice answers guys. Find another sport...lol.. Instead of making suggestions to make the sport better you make sarcastic remarks, Typical social media..
AFA is an organization holding tournaments, they were once a large organization and have started a comeback. This shows me youre knowledge regarding softball
By posting I was hoping there would be some constructive suggestions
sdiamond
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:45 am

...I give up, we'll play AFA :mrgreen:
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:09 am

sdiamond wrote:Nice answers guys. Find another sport...lol.. Instead of making suggestions to make the sport better you make sarcastic remarks, Typical social media..
AFA is an organization holding tournaments, they were once a large organization and have started a comeback. This shows me youre knowledge regarding softball

Thanks for posting. I haven't had a laugh that hard in a long while. Spaz forgot more about softball this morning than you will ever know.

OBTW: If you don't like the current orgs, start your own......like PGF did a few years ago when ASA $hit the bed.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:08 am

sdiamond wrote:There are several organizations putting on tournaments all over the country. Travel Teams pay good money to attend these events. With competition from TCS,AFA,PGF and USSSA and differences in entry fees one would think these organizations would make their event appealing.

There is plenty of competition for the business of SoCal teams, however teams need to recognize which events are best for them. Competition is stiff on the A-circuit between TCS vs PGF and its allies, so those org's pay attention to criticism from credible sources. Orgs that don't risk declining like ASA and AFA did.

Many teams get more bang for their buck by playing a schedule more appropriate for them on the B-circuit with AFA, USSSA and some lower-end TCS events. These teams also tend to be the most unhappy playing in A-circuit events.

Bottom line is know who you are, choose accordingly and caveat emptor.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Sam wrote:
sdiamond wrote:Nice answers guys. Find another sport...lol.. Instead of making suggestions to make the sport better you make sarcastic remarks, Typical social media..

Thanks for posting. I haven't had a laugh that hard in a long while. Spaz forgot more about softball this morning than you will ever know.

OBTW: If you don't like the current orgs, start your own......like PGF did a few years ago when ASA $hit the bed.

Did I miss something? Was he talking to Spaz? Spaz forgets things about softball in the morning? That's not good.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

Return to Fastpitch Discussions