Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

passed ball/wild pitch scorekeeping

What's on your mind?

by Desmo13 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:04 am

I see many interpretations in scorekeeping. please score the following plays:

Runner on first. pitch in the dirt, successful block by catcher, runner steals, no throw.

Runner on first. pitch in the dirt, successful block by catcher, runner steals, catcher throws, but runner is safe.

(by successful block, the catcher keeps the ball in front of her in the area of the plate/front of the batters box.)

Thank you
Desmo13
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ucla_animal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:40 pm

If it was a straight steal on the pitch, I would score it as a steal even with the wild pitch. But would score wild pitch if the runner advanced on the bad pitch.
ucla_animal
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:26 pm

From my experience:

Scorekeeper's DD is pitcher = passed ball.

Scorekeeper's DD is catcher = wild pitch.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Desmo13 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:54 pm

I heard one scorekeeper say if the ball hits the dirt before the plate, wild pitch, if after the plate, passed ball.
Desmo13
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Desmo13 wrote:I heard one scorekeeper say if the ball hits the dirt before the plate, wild pitch, if after the plate, passed ball.

NCAA softball scoring rules:

14.28 Wild Pitch
A wild pitch is charged to a pitcher when the pitch is so high, wide or low that the catcher cannot handle the ball with ordinary effort and at least one base runner advances. Any pitch in the dirt is wild. Only one wild pitch is recorded regardless of the number of base runners who advance or the number of bases advanced. A third strike not handled by the catcher because it was wild, when the batter reaches first base safely, is scored as both a wild pitch and a strikeout. No wild pitch is charged if a base runner stealing on the pitch advances only one base. A wild pitch is not an error.

14.29 Passed Ball
A passed ball is charged to the catcher when she fails to stop or control a pitch with ordinary effort and at least one base runner advances. Only one passed ball is recorded regardless of the number of base runners who advance or the number of bases advanced. A third strike not handled by the catcher that could have been handled with ordinary effort, when the batter reaches first base safely, is scored as both a passed ball and a strikeout. No passed ball is charged if a base runner stealing on the pitch advances only one base. A passed ball is not an error.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:09 pm

ucla_animal wrote:If it was a straight steal on the pitch, I would score it as a steal even with the wild pitch. But would score wild pitch if the runner advanced on the bad pitch.

This is correct for WP vs steal, however I'd say "advanced after seeing it was a bad pitch."

14.14 Stolen Base
14.14.2 To a base runner, if the base runner starts for the next base on the release, and the pitch results in what would otherwise be scored a passed ball or wild pitch. If the base runner advances another base because of the wild pitch or passed ball, only the initial base is stolen.

Additionally:
14.14.8 To a base runner who advances on a bobbled (not dropped) pitch, even if the base runner decides to advance after seeing the bobble.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ucla_animal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks PDad for the clarification. I appreciate it. I have been scoring the bobbled ball inconsistently and will keep that in mind.
ucla_animal
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:29 am

:D ( I get it the rules are in place for scoring and averages)

*Catchers should field short hop pitches. when defensive players bobble short hops, throws or hits and doesn't make the play it's considered an error.
we see dirt pitches these days where "some"catchers only strategy is becomming a mini backstop, and not handling the ball when they should. ( just because the pitch is in the dirt doesn't mean you have to block it ) yes I'm talking about dirt pitch short hops.
*Catchers field the ball! Train to field short hop pitches, and transition into throwing Runners out!
all the other defensive players use their glove on short hops, throws and hits including the Outfield doing a "do or die" with their glove to the side of their body.. catchers you are a defensive player behind the plate! an extreme infielder with the pleasure of framing!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:46 am

jtat32 wrote:From my experience:

Scorekeeper's DD is pitcher = passed ball.

Scorekeeper's DD is catcher = wild pitch.

Jtat got it right!! :lol: :lol:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions