Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

PGF: Non-softball things to do nearby

What's on your mind?

by dusty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 am

I used to post here occasionally years ago under the username "dustyshoes" but my efforts to resurrect that account failed. I know most of the regular posters here live in SoCal and have been PGF regulars from the outset so I hope you can give this first-timer some insight.

I'm taking my two dd's to LA next week for my younger dd's first PGF tourney. My question is mainly about what my older dd can do since she'd rather not watch softball all day. Older dd will be meeting a college friend in LA so she'll have someone to do things with. I don't really want to just give her the keys to the rental car and let her take off, my younger dd and I might end up spending the night at the field if I do that. Hanging out on the beach may be the most attractive option for them so I'm wondering how close the fields are to Huntington beach and even if Huntington is a desirable beach to go to. I haven't been to LA since the 80's and I remember Hermosa, Manhattan and Venice being fun and interesting but I don't know if that's still true or how easy it is to get there from Huntington Beach.

My younger dd isn't likely to get a ton of playing time so I may even want to spend part of the day with older dd, that is if they'll let me. Thanks in advance, I hope things are going well for all of you.

Dusty
dusty

by Sam » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:09 am

dusty wrote:I used to post here occasionally years ago under the username "dustyshoes" but my efforts to resurrect that account failed. I know most of the regular posters here live in SoCal and have been PGF regulars from the outset so I hope you can give this first-timer some insight.

I'm taking my two dd's to LA next week for my younger dd's first PGF tourney. My question is mainly about what my older dd can do since she'd rather not watch softball all day. Older dd will be meeting a college friend in LA so she'll have someone to do things with. I don't really want to just give her the keys to the rental car and let her take off, my younger dd and I might end up spending the night at the field if I do that. Hanging out on the beach may be the most attractive option for them so I'm wondering how close the fields are to Huntington beach and even if Huntington is a desirable beach to go to. I haven't been to LA since the 80's and I remember Hermosa, Manhattan and Venice being fun and interesting but I don't know if that's still true or how easy it is to get there from Huntington Beach.

My younger dd isn't likely to get a ton of playing time so I may even want to spend part of the day with older dd, that is if they'll let me. Thanks in advance, I hope things are going well for all of you.

Dusty

Huntington Beach is really close, but not much there unless you are around PCH and Main St. They can go a little further south to Newport Beach, which has shops, restaurants, etc. right off of the boardwalk. Get there early to find parking, though.

Orange County Fair is going on in Costa Mesa as well.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dusty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks Sam.
dusty

by PDad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Proximity to beach varies by where they're playing.

- 18U Premier in HB is closest - just 2.4 miles down Goldenwest St. Pier & Main St 1 more mile south.

- 18U Platinum in FV is 6.6 miles down Brookhurst St to south end of HB / north end Newport.

- 10U/12U in Irvine are about 9 miles from Corona del Mar State Beach.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dusty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 pm

PDad wrote:Proximity to beach varies by where they're playing.

- 18U Premier in HB is closest - just 2.4 miles down Goldenwest St. Pier & Main St 1 more mile south.

- 18U Platinum in FV is 6.6 miles down Brookhurst St to south end of HB / north end Newport.

- 10U/12U in Irvine are about 9 miles from Corona del Mar State Beach.

18U Premier.
dusty

by jtat32 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Bring the sunscreen. Don't know any girls who sunburned themselves out of PGF, but know a couple wound up having to sit out a full Surf City tourney.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PicklesnKoolaid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 am

Tide pools in Laguna Beach, kayaking (once the tournament is over, this can be strenuous) in Newport Beach, shopping at Fashion Island. They have one of very nice move theater as well.
PicklesnKoolaid

by PDad » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:52 pm

PicklesnKoolaid wrote:Tide pools in Laguna Beach, kayaking (once the tournament is over, this can be strenuous) in Newport Beach, shopping at Fashion Island. They have one of very nice move theater as well.

I presume you're talking about the Big Newport 6 theater on the outer circle rather than the Island Cinemas within Fashion Island.

South Coast Plaza is a major mall for shopping.

Whale watching tours can be a relatively inexpensive way to get out on the ocean - look for specials online.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dusty » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. Another thing that I thought of having just returned from a tournament where we got a little east coast surfing in is the topic of surfing itself. Both of my dd's and I enjoy surfing but we're used to small east coast summer swells, reasonably warm water and fairly small and laid back crowds.

I kinda remember the couple of days I surfed the Hermosa beach break as being fairly uncrowded and colder than the Atlantic but not cold enough to require a wetsuit. I surfed in Oregon in recent years and couldn't take the cold for more than 15-20 minutes even in a full wetsuit, I don't surf enough to surf well in a full wetsuit though.

My older dd is likely to ask abut that so based on water temps, swells and crowds is that something that would be worth even considering? I'd still have some concern about her getting hit on by surfers but I think she could handle that if the other factors are manageable.
dusty

by PDad » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Surf report for HB next week (http://magicseaweed.com/Huntington-Pier-Surf-Report/286/) shows smaller waves until Sat, 7/29, which is the start of the US Open of Surfing.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions