Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Couple of GoPro challenges

What's on your mind?

by Tntcoachtom » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:31 am

I have my Hero 4 silver set up on the Lynkspider and it's awesome. By far the best chain link mounting system I've used. I Do have a couple of challenges though and they are:
1) keeping the camera from over heating in places like Lancaster CA in the summer months;and,
2) Footage being abscured when filming directly into a setting sun.
Has anybody else ran into these problems? If so what did you do about them?
Tntcoachtom

by ucla_animal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:56 am

For the overheating problem I use the following workarounds:

1) turn wifi off - hopefully you get experienced enough with the fences to not need the view to position the camera. Or else you can position it with wifi and then turn it off.

2) In Lancaster a couple of years ago I bought two usb fans and positioned them near enough to the camera to get air movement...that's what you need, better than nothing. They worked, although if you get them too close the fan noise gets picked up by the camera.

3) make sure that you sit close enough to the camera so you can hear it turning off due to overheating

Love the lynkspider, that mount is hands down the best one out there, even works on the netting down in Lake Elsinore. Love it
ucla_animal
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tntcoachtom » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks UCLA.
USB fans sounds like a great idea. I might even try a solar powered fan.
I haven't used WIFI to set up for a long time. ever since I stopped climbing the fence to get a higher view. Using Wifi would be more useful if you could look at previous footage without stopping your current recording.
Tntcoachtom

by LynkSpyder » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm

I responded to Tom via message, but thought I would post here as well. Sorry I'm late to the conversation. I don't come here as often as I should.

In the IM, I mentioned WiFi, battery, and sun on the LCD are generally the most common issues. From the conversation above, I am thinking it is the LCD. The LCD is a very thin, but solid black membrane, with the GoPro motherboard directly behind it. Sun will generate heat on this surface rather quickly. On hot days where the sun is really hitting the camera hard, we just place a ball cap over the camera. While I cannot scientifically confirm that a St Louis Cardinals hat works the best, it is the one I have tested the most successfully. :-)

I have tried fans, but have not found them to cool enough to offset the noise they produce on the final video. Additionally, if you use the external battery to power the fan, it can generate some strange RF noise on both the video and audio. So if you go that route, make sure to use an isolated power source.

Josh
LynkSpyder

by toyota44 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Take out the battery inside. Buy a 31 pin connector and use a battery back up. That will make it cool it down. The battery inside makes it hot. and it will be a good idea to cover it with cloth on summer time. I use my oakley pouch to cover it...
toyota44
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tntcoachtom » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:27 pm

I like that idea. Thanks.
Tntcoachtom

Return to Fastpitch Discussions