Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Sparkler vs. IDT?

What's on your mind?

by PDad » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:29 pm

shortslappy wrote:... is there a reason why the Firecrackers don't play in IDT?

sftballguru wrote:Because Rico has ownership in TCS

Firecrackers played in Fireworks before TCS bought it and Rico's SoCal's Finest. Reportedly, it was initially a sponsor conflict between Rico's team being Worth and IDT being Louisville Slugger.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:18 pm

The IDT is rough there are no easy games, no slouch teams everybody is there to win every team is fighting and it certainly does NOT feel like a showcase! I for one did not see any coaches there that were not Div 1 it seemed that was the norm plus lots of coaches at every game plenty of opportunity for your kids to get seen. Definitely worth getting into if you can not at all a waste of money....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:39 pm

First time at IDT after 4 years at TCS. Great competition at IDT and as said by others before, no easy games. Only 2 fields for 16U and only about 1 mile apart. By the time the last 8 were still playing, I didn't see any college coaches. Was informed by those more knowledgeable than me that they don't stick around for the end as recruiting days are limited? Anyway, already looking forward to next year.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:First time at IDT after 4 years at TCS. Great competition at IDT and as said by others before, no easy games. Only 2 fields for 16U and only about 1 mile apart. By the time the last 8 were still playing, I didn't see any college coaches. Was informed by those more knowledgeable than me that they don't stick around for the end as recruiting days are limited? Anyway, already looking forward to next year.

This is the last year of D-I's 50 eval day limit. OTOH, they're also reducing the number of days on the recruiting calendar when coaches can attend showcases.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:First time at IDT after 4 years at TCS. Great competition at IDT and as said by others before, no easy games. Only 2 fields for 16U and only about 1 mile apart. By the time the last 8 were still playing, I didn't see any college coaches. Was informed by those more knowledgeable than me that they don't stick around for the end as recruiting days are limited? Anyway, already looking forward to next year.

You can buy that if you care to. Here's an alternate explanation.

The college coaches have already picked thru the players of the last teams standing, so there are no new available recruits. And they have already touched base with their "commits", so that job is done; any new recruits were offered once their team was eliminated. Despite the often stated desire to see the players compete, they are almost NEVER there just to watch players compete. Anyone still hanging around is waiting to offer the very few crumbs still uncommitted.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:12 pm

UmpSteve wrote:

The college coaches have already picked thru the players of the last teams standing, so there are no new available recruits. And they have already touched base with their "commits", so that job is done; any new recruits were offered once their team was eliminated. Despite the often stated desire to see the players compete, they are almost NEVER there just to watch players compete. Anyone still hanging around is waiting to offer the very few crumbs still uncommitted.

Seems like you're suggesting the explanations are mutually exclusive when in fact they're interrelated.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:06 pm

PDad wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:

Seems like you're suggesting the explanations are mutually exclusive when in fact they're interrelated.

In my experience, the interrelationship is somewhat limited. While coaches may rationalize that they are saving their limited recruiting days, the truth is that at MANY exposure/showcase events, even those with recruitable players remaining on Sunday, you hardly EVER see college coaches remaining on the final day. Maybe a local school hanging around, or a newly named coach looking at her "inherited" commits; but those with travel are long gone, with those plans made well before they even know who might be recruitable on the final day. For the most part, it seems the vast majority of college coaches leave the fields once they are fed Saturday dinner.

Consider me a skeptic, if you will; but the desire to have fixed and locked times to preplan what they feel they must do (drop dead timing) seems to FAR exceed any desire to see the players actually compete (when that leads to uncertainty of their time).
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 pm

UmpSteve wrote:
PDad wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:You can buy that if you care to. Here's an alternate explanation.

In my experience, the interrelationship is somewhat limited. While coaches may rationalize that they are saving their limited recruiting days, the truth is that at MANY exposure/showcase events, even those with recruitable players remaining on Sunday, you hardly EVER see college coaches remaining on the final day. Maybe a local school hanging around, or a newly named coach looking at her "inherited" commits; but those with travel are long gone, with those plans made well before they even know who might be recruitable on the final day. For the most part, it seems the vast majority of college coaches leave the fields once they are fed Saturday dinner.

The contradictory flaw in your logic is you downplay the limit and then base it all on personal observations with the limit in place. I expect things will change this fall when they're only allowed to watch Sat/Sun and there's no limit. I also expect an umpire of your experience knows how rules shape the strategies used by competitors.

Consider me a skeptic, if you will; but the desire to have fixed and locked times to preplan what they feel they must do (drop dead timing) seems to FAR exceed any desire to see the players actually compete (when that leads to uncertainty of their time).

The uncertainty of bracket play makes it risky with a limited number of days because they burn a whole day once they start watching a game. I wonder how many college coaches watch games streamed on FloSoftball, especially afterward when they can fast-forward to the parts they want to see...

People misunderstood what college coaches meant by "see" players compete. It was primarily a desire for players to compete in more games with a consequence (i.e. win or go home) instead of so many showcases. It was about wanting them to compete more under pressure to prepare them for college ball rather than a desire to actually watch them play in bracket games. They can see what kinds of events are being played without seeing the actual games.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions