Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Sparkler vs. IDT?

What's on your mind?

by shortslappy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:13 pm

It's a big week in Colorado, but what's the difference between Sparkler and IDT?
shortslappy

by PairOfAces » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Never been to either, but from what I can tell, Sparkler and Fireworks are run by Triple Crown Sports while IDT is its own entity. I have "heard" that IDT is more selective and thus may be a tougher tournament, but I'm not claiming that.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by coachbgb » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:32 am

We have played in both. 5 years in the Sparkler and 6 years in the IDT. If you are into a big "show" with lots of Marketing,vendors,special events, Olympic players signing autographs, Pro exhibitions
Etc then the Fireworks/Sparkler is for you.
If your into College coaches at every game, top competition(PGF Level)) in every game, playing at the same fields every day so the colleges know where to find you then the IDT is for you.
At the sparkler we would see college coaches on occasion but they use like 20 different parks and most days we saw nil. At Boulder our girls will send out there info and the colleges will show up more often.
No entry fee at the IDT, free all star games and they even feed everybody before the all star games. Its really no Contest. The IDT is all about great softball.
Unfortunately it can take years to get in the IDT. My advice is to apply to both every year until accepted into the IDT. The overall experience in Colorado that week is amazing. For that week Denver/Boulder is the center of the Softball world and we love it.
coachbgb
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:11 pm

coachbgb wrote:We have played in both. 5 years in the Sparkler and 6 years in the IDT. If you are into a big "show" with lots of Marketing,vendors,special events, Olympic players signing autographs, Pro exhibitions
If your into College coaches at every game, top competition(PGF Level)) in every game, playing at the same fields every day so the colleges know where to find you then the IDT is for you.
At the sparkler we would see college coaches on occasion but they use like 20 different parks and most days we saw nil. At Boulder our girls will send out there info and the colleges will show up more often.
No entry fee at the IDT, free all star games and they even feed everybody before the all star games. Its really no Contest. The IDT is all about great softball.
Unfortunately it can take years to get in the IDT. My advice is to apply to both every year until accepted into the IDT. The overall experience in Colorado that week is amazing. For that week Denver/Boulder is the center of the Softball world and we love it.

Forgot to mention IDT is invite only...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
coachbgb wrote:We have played in both. 5 years in the Sparkler and 6 years in the IDT. If you are into a big "show" with lots of Marketing,vendors,special events, Olympic players signing autographs, Pro exhibitions

I haven't heard of IDT recruiting teams that didn't apply, so I wouldn't call them invite only. On the contrary, IDT actually has a way for teams to qualify for Boulder 18U via placing high at Louisville. Otherwise, teams send in their entries and IDT is extremely selective about which ones get the few spots available.

TCS is similarly very selective about which teams get into their Power Pools. The difference is TCS will put the ones that don't make it into one of their lower events (i.e. Fireworks or Sparkler) so they can keep their entry fee.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:05 am

IDT tournament is where all the big dogs are at!!! You must earn or be invited to this tournament, skip all the other sparkler stuff unless your team has a plan which fits with TC or sparkler.
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:06 am

Pale Rider wrote:

Correct!!
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:08 am

PairOfAces wrote:Never been to either, but from what I can tell, Sparkler and Fireworks are run by Triple Crown Sports while IDT is its own entity. I have "heard" that IDT is more selective and thus may be a tougher tournament, but I'm not claiming that.

IDT tournament is where all the big dogs are!!! Top schools go there hands down.
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by shortslappy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:33 am

Spazsdad wrote:Just got back and I was surprised at the number of organizations with multiple teams entered. There were a couple in years past but not 3 teams from the same org. Of course all 3 went deep in the tournament so it's not like they just threw some slouches in the event.

Not surprised by the multiple big-org teams, but is there a reason why the Firecrackers don't play in IDT?
shortslappy

by sftballguru » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:19 am

Because Rico has ownership in TCS
sftballguru

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions