Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Sad/Scary Day In SD Softball Community

What's on your mind?

by ssarge » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:06 am

Scott

Scott, I actually use the statistic 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys. There is some new research that people are starting to quote with 1 in 3 girls which I don't have the references for but here are the references for the ones that I use.

Fergusson, D., Horwood, L., & Lynskey, M. (1997). Childhood sexual abuse, adolescent sexual behavior, and sexual revictimization. Child Abuse & Neglect, 21, 789-803.

Finkelhor, D., & Dziuba-Leatherman, J. (1994). Children as victims of violence: A national survey. Pediatrics, 94, 413-420.

Hopper, J. (1998). Child Abuse: Statistics, Research, Resources. Boston, MA: Boston University School of Medicine.

Simpson, C., Odor, R., & Masho, S. (2004 August). Childhood Sexual Assault Victimization in Virginia. Center for Injury & Violence Prevention. Virginia Department of Health. Retrieved September 9, 2004 from http://www.vahealth.org/civp/sexualviolence.[/quote]

Thanks.

Geez, I hope you are wrong, That is just awful.

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by softball_parent » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:23 am

These statistics actually feed into huge other problems regardless of what the statistics are. In our state (CA) we have a huge number of runaways who live on the streets and support themselves by prostituting. Their pimps if they use one circuit them throughout California, Oregon and Nevada. As our foster children many who were sexually abused age out of the system there are limited services and some are citing statistics of 80% of them ending up homeless, in jail or in the mental health system within the first year. I have worked with prostitutes as young as 12 who left home because they were being sexually abused and then had no way to support themselves until some nice "Daddy" AKA pimp took them in and fed them and then turned them out into the streets. If you know what to look for you see them sleeping under the bridges at night after they have walked the streets earning their money to survive. They risk being beating and even murdered. They won't go to the emergencies rooms even though they are bruised all over their body to seek medical care. This isn't just one or two there are thousands.
softball_parent

by jofus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:24 am

One, stories like that (softball mom's that is) make me glad to be raising my children where we live, rather than a lot of other areas. Not to say that stuff like that (prostitution, drugs, etc.),doesn't happen in Beautiful rural West Virginia, but it's a simple fact that as population increases, so do the problems.

Two, not that anyone probably cares, but I promise to never post anything on here (or any other board) that I don't have the cajones to post under my own user name, rather than make an alternate just so I can post a controversial opinion, joke, or whatever.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by dcranley » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:16 am

Also without any intention of downplaying the problem, statistics such as those cited in this thread are suspect at best. First of all, the statistics by their own admission include substantial conjecture regarding the volume of "unreported" abuse. More fundamentally, the sources for this type of information (including governmental sources) often either have strong financial and/or institutional incentives to exaggerate, or they get their information from other sources who do. This is a well-known problem that impacts the gathering and analysis of many types of data, but most particularly data implicating socially and politically charged policy areas.

I agree it's important to look deep into the collection and analysis of these statistics. It's difficult because victims don't often disclose, especially as children. The most sited statistics were taken through a survey of adults who responded based on their childhood experiences.

I can say that I have gone on to find that I can indeed validate these statistics for women through my own personal discussions with people in my circle of influence. Of the first 3 neighbors that I told about my daughter's abuse, 2 of them were abused themselves. As I went on to tell others, I found that I could literally hold a support group meeting without even leaving my block. I speak with the parents in the LNGS league about it and MANY of the Moms that I have known for years have disclosed to me that they were also abused. Some of my closest friends and I have this in common yet we had never talked about it. It's more difficult to personally substantiate the male statistics because they still don't tell because of our society's stigma around it making a man weak or gay, etc. I believe if you went out and had some true heart to heart discussions with the adults in your circle of influence, you would be surprised at the extend of abuse.
dcranley

by tai2000 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:04 am

NumeroUno wrote:We had a whole bunch of complaints in a short period of time so we removed the post. I know it was a joke but to many people felt that it was out of line, sorry.

I don't think you should apologize for removing something that was completely innapropriate. While this is a "free speech" forum most of us still expect good taste and common sense to prevail.
Whether the allegations are true or false it does hit a nerve for us with daughters...reminds us how easily or children can be turned into victims.
Just this morning the Today show had an entire piece on a 14 yo girl who had been abducted, kept in a cave in the ground for 10 days while she was molested repeatedly. The police would not believe the parents that the girl was not a runaway because of her age and never issued an Amber Alert.
Our children are our most precious treasures...we must do what we can to keep them safe while at the same time teaching them to be independent, make good choices, and not be afraid of the world...no small task for sure.

Conflicting opinions will always be presented in forums such as this, as it should be...but this is not a light-hearted topic such as "who's the best team in Nor-Cal" and jokesters will not be tolerated well.
Looking at the ball going over the fence isn't going to help. -Hank Aaron
tai2000

by Tucson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:17 am

Your kids need to be told that any unwanted touching is inappropriate and that you need to be informed. And don't include remarks like "I would kill him."

Many, many assaults go unreported.

Only 2 friends have confided in me that they were molested. Those were unreported. When my niece was raped at age 3, the assailant wasn't charged because there was no evidence. (A great deal of time passed, before the little girl told anyone.)

When an umpire shoved me up against a car and tried to kiss me (I was 17), it wasn't reported. I mean what was i supposed to say? "This old man tried to kiss me?"

I believe the stats. i think assaults are very common.
Tucson

by DonnieS » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:52 am

>> And don't include remarks like "I would kill him." <<

Don't say "If something like that would happen to you, it would kill me." to your kid - they will believe you and can make a terrible situation much worse.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Demonboy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:44 am

Tucson wrote:Your kids need to be told that any unwanted touching is inappropriate and that you need to be informed. And don't include remarks like "I would kill him."

Many, many assaults go unreported.

Only 2 friends have confided in me that they were molested. Those were unreported. When my niece was raped at age 3, the assailant wasn't charged because there was no evidence. (A great deal of time passed, before the little girl told anyone.)

When an umpire shoved me up against a car and tried to kiss me (I was 17), it wasn't reported. I mean what was i supposed to say? "This old man tried to kiss me?"

I believe the stats. i think assaults are very common.

Well....yeah. "Dad, an umpire just tried to kiss me".

I find the 1 in 3 stat to be a bit suspect. I'm wondering if every "goosing" at an office party is factored in.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by dropball » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Two seperate situations in the San Diego area, on the same Day! Did someone mention 1/3.

Coach, Teacher Accused In Sex Crimes Enter Pleas

POSTED: 3:38 pm PST March 6, 2008
UPDATED: 6:27 pm PST March 6, 2008

VISTA, Calif. -- A Carlsbad coach and Escondido art teacher were arraigned on Thursday on separate charges that they allegedly had sex with minors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watch Video
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christopher Facione, 37, a coach of a traveling girl's softball team in Carlsbad, pleaded not guilty to two charges in Vista. According to court documents, he had sex twice with one of his 17-year-old softball players at his home.

Facione was charged Feb. 20 in connection with the case. Prosecutors said he could face up to three years and eight months in prison if convicted.

Also in Vista court, Randy Nack, 32, was arraigned on charges he had sex with a 17-year-old female student.

Nack was an art teacher at Escondido High School. He is charged with multiple counts of unlawful sex with a minor, sexual penetration with a minor and oral sex with a minor.

Nash voluntarily turned himself in to Escondido police on Thursday. Detectives said they began investigating him on Jan. 17.

The Escondido Union High School District placed Nack on administrative leave that same day.

"Anytime a 17 ½-year-old girl makes accusations against her teacher and her coach, we take that extremely seriously. The reports are going to be available early next week so we'll see why the district attorney filed these charges," said Mark Chambers, Nack's attorney. Both men are free on bail until their next court appearance.
dropball

by wadeintothem » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:59 pm

dropball wrote:Two seperate situations in the San Diego area, on the same Day! Did someone mention 1/3.

Coach, Teacher Accused In Sex Crimes Enter Pleas

POSTED: 3:38 pm PST March 6, 2008
UPDATED: 6:27 pm PST March 6, 2008

VISTA, Calif. -- A Carlsbad coach and Escondido art teacher were arraigned on Thursday on separate charges that they allegedly had sex with minors.

Watch Video

Christopher Facione, 37, a coach of a traveling girl's softball team in Carlsbad, pleaded not guilty to two charges in Vista. According to court documents, he had sex twice with one of his 17-year-old softball players at his home.

Facione was charged Feb. 20 in connection with the case. Prosecutors said he could face up to three years and eight months in prison if convicted.

Also in Vista court, Randy Nack, 32, was arraigned on charges he had sex with a 17-year-old female student.

Nack was an art teacher at Escondido High School. He is charged with multiple counts of unlawful sex with a minor, sexual penetration with a minor and oral sex with a minor.

Nash voluntarily turned himself in to Escondido police on Thursday. Detectives said they began investigating him on Jan. 17.

The Escondido Union High School District placed Nack on administrative leave that same day.

"Anytime a 17 ½-year-old girl makes accusations against her teacher and her coach, we take that extremely seriously. The reports are going to be available early next week so we'll see why the district attorney filed these charges," said Mark Chambers, Nack's attorney. Both men are free on bail until their next court appearance.

Is this the same girl? Maybe I'm reading it wrong.. but just for clarification sake.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions