Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Wow 17 innings

What's on your mind?

by Pale Rider » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:42 am

Schmick wrote:Sorry, posting on phone from work while being interrupted.

California tax dollars are what is used to develop these young ladies as softball players. Other state's schools should not be permitted to come in to California and pillage the talent California has developed without paying California back for its investment.
At the very least the athletic scholarships should use real math.... if an out of state student has tuition costs 3x higher than an in state student, than an out of state student athlete's scholarship should count as 3 scholarships vs the sports scholarship allotment

AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:16 am

Since finding out that the State of California has paid for my DD's softball development, I want all my money back from the private fielding, catching, pitching and hitting lessons I paid for. :lol:
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:03 am

Out of state students are not subsidized, they pay a higher cost than instate students do.
Let's use Florida as an example. An in state student at Florida has a tuition cost of roughly 6300 dollars a year. An out of state student at Florida has a tuition cost of just over 28000 dollars a year. The out of state student will have a cost greater than 4 times that of an instate student. Therefore an out of state athlete on Florida's softball team like Delaine Gourly or Kelly Barnhill should cost Florida 4 of their 12 softball scholarships or Florida can avoid that by only recruiting girls from Florida
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:16 am

Schmick wrote:Out of state students are not subsidized, they pay a higher cost than instate students do.
Let's use Florida as an example. An in state student at Florida has a tuition cost of roughly 6300 dollars a year. An out of state student at Florida has a tuition cost of just over 28000 dollars a year. The out of state student will have a cost greater than 4 times that of an instate student. Therefore an out of state athlete on Florida's softball team like Delaine Gourly or Kelly Barnhill should cost Florida 4 of their 12 softball scholarships or Florida can avoid that by only recruiting girls from Florida

The cost of instate or out of state is the same for scholarship students. The source(s) of payment are just different
jonriv

by PDad » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:01 pm

jonriv wrote:
Schmick wrote:Out of state students are not subsidized, they pay a higher cost than instate students do.

The cost of instate or out of state is the same for scholarship students. The source(s) of payment are just different

C'mon JR, Schmick is clearly talking about tuition rather than the actual/marginal cost to the university for each student. Besides that, there are opportunity costs (i.e. lost add'l tuition income) for state colleges. California had to crack down on its state schools because they were giving admission preferences to out-of-state students so they'd get the additional income.

Schmick's proposal would be extremely harmful to players in states like California where there aren't enough schollies for the huge pool of talented players and it would decrease their opportunities out-of-state. The real issue is in-state schools need to become more attractive to retain the best-of-the-best players so they don't go outside the state.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:19 pm

The ESPN contract gives the sec schools way more money so they can build facilities and hire coaches than schools in California.
Many California schools don't even have programs. Make the out of state schools pay the California schools for the rights to the California girls, then the California schools can apply that money to their facilities, coaching staffs or to start programs.

My kid's in 6th grade, I'd rather her go to a school like UCI or USC or Pepperdine where she will get a much better education than she would at say an Oklahoma, Florida, auburn.... but for that to happen those schools here will need to start programs.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Schmick wrote:The ESPN contract gives the sec schools way more money so they can build facilities and hire coaches than schools in California.
Many California schools don't even have programs. Make the out of state schools pay the California schools for the rights to the California girls, then the California schools can apply that money to their facilities, coaching staffs or to start programs.

Excellent idea - we should get started on that as soon as Mexico is done building the wall.

Schmick wrote:My kid's in 6th grade, I'd rather her go to a school like UCI or USC or Pepperdine where she will get a much better education than she would at say an Oklahoma, Florida, auburn.... but for that to happen those schools here will need to start programs.

Just to clarify your assumptions here:

- Your kid can only go to a school that has a softball program.

- That program has to be of the caliber of Oklahoma, Florida, or Auburn.

- Those schools are going to want your kid.

- UCLA and UCB aren't good enough for your kid.

Does that sound about right?

One final question:

How do USC and Pepperdine, or any other private school that doesn't have in-state/out-of-state tuition, fit into your affirmative action scholarship plan?
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 pm

She will go to college, hopefully one with a softball program.

Oklahoma, Florida and auburns softball programs would be garbage without the Californians

I'd rather her go to UCSB than ucla and I would disown her if she tried to go to feCal. Stanford is likely the best bet at this point, unless USC or Pepperdine start a program in the next 6 years

Private schools do not charge higher tuition so the scholarships for private schools would count the same. And that system should be in place for all scholarship sports, not just softball. Especially football
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:46 am

Schmick wrote:She will go to college, hopefully one with a softball program.

Oklahoma, Florida and auburns softball programs would be garbage without the Californians

I'd rather her go to UCSB than ucla and I would disown her if she tried to go to feCal. Stanford is likely the best bet at this point, unless USC or Pepperdine start a program in the next 6 years

Private schools do not charge higher tuition so the scholarships for private schools would count the same. And that system should be in place for all scholarship sports, not just softball. Especially football

"Private schools do not charge higher tuition" ??????????? I guess I should get a refund on the half million I paid for both my kids to go to private colleges?
jonriv

by jonriv » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:49 am

PDad wrote:
jonriv wrote:

C'mon JR, Schmick is clearly talking about tuition rather than the actual/marginal cost to the university for each student. Besides that, there are opportunity costs (i.e. lost add'l tuition income) for state colleges. California had to crack down on its state schools because they were giving admission preferences to out-of-state students so they'd get the additional income.

Schmick's proposal would be extremely harmful to players in states like California where there aren't enough schollies for the huge pool of talented players and it would decrease their opportunities out-of-state. The real issue is in-state schools need to become more attractive to retain the best-of-the-best players so they don't go outside the state.

I know what he was saying, I was just pointing out his faulty logic and math! Your point that you make about being harmful to California players is right on
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions