Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Michelle Smith

What's on your mind?

by jtat32 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:58 pm

I've got a ton of respect for Michelle Smith accomplishments as a player and an analyst, as well as the contributions she has made to this sport. That said, I wish she would never talk about hitting during her broadcasts. The platitudes are irritating, but I can live with them. Yesterday, though, they were discussing Mauga's record of four years hitting at least 20 home runs and contrasted it with Smith leading the nation with 8 home runs during her career.

Smith said it was because the bats and balls are different now. That's horsecrap. That may have something to do with it, as well as the fact that the pitching plate was three feet closer when she played, but give the players credit - their swings are a whole lot better than they were when Smith played. The sport's understanding of the mechanics of a good swing has changed for the better since her era, and the college players who are excelling at the plate put a ton of work into their swings.

Give credit were credit is due.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon May 08, 2017 7:33 am

Softball enjoy it !
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Tue May 09, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Mon May 08, 2017 11:11 am

Smith played college ball 1985-1990 and had 15 HRs total. Pitching distance was moved back in '88 and ball was changed in '93. A 2001 article (http://newsok.com/article/2742434) points at the ball change (see excerpt below). The bats got much hotter after 2001.

College softball's evolution - revolution? - started in 1988, when the NCAA instituted a rule change that moved the pitcher's rubber from 40 to 43 feet. It continued in 1993, when a more lively ball was introduced.

The ball is optic yellow, with raised, red seams to aid batters. What really helps hitters is what's inside - a harder core.

"The game has changed so much over the last 10 years," Candrea said. "We've seen the advancement of the entire game in a lot of ways."

There are other factors. Bat technology has improved. There's better coaching at the youth level, better strength-and-conditioning work at the college level.

But the rules changes have had the greatest effect.

Check the statistics. Most significant NCAA pitching records were set before 1993; most significant offensive records have been set since 1993.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Mon May 08, 2017 12:05 pm

154 players have hit 50+ HR in their NCAA Softball careers. Only 9 of them played in the 1990s. Bats got hot around 2000 when the other 145 players started hitting bombs. Its a little bit about better hitting coaches and a lot about $350 bats.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Mon May 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Back in the day the ball would get "soft" or softer as the game progressed. Ask Smith and I bet most of her Hrs were hit early in games.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Not much footage of swings from the '80s to compare to, but here's some footage from 1981:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inn634PWaIQ

How many of the swings in that clip resemble Chamberlain, Nuveman, or Mauga? Watch the warmups at 1:53. Is that how Chamberlain, Nuveman, or Mauga practice their swings?

Here's a clip of Michele Smith describing a swing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCIUMjyTDk

Is that how Chamberlain, Nuveman, or Mauga (or any on the all-time home run leader list) swing?

As I said in my initial post - I've got a ton of respect for Smith and all the pioneers. Give credit to the modern players too - they swing the bat better and they've earned that respect.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 am

The players swing the bats better today but the big factor is the bat. If players today swung aluminum bats the HRs would be cut in half.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Tue May 09, 2017 7:16 am

The biggest factor in change has been the ball. Remember the first tourney they introduced us to a Dudley ball and wow! The game changed drastically! Our 2nd baseman had part of his ear torn off on a grounder that weekend. And I don't know how many guys were looking to sue someone because their $60 bats were dented.
On a side note. You coaches who are talking kids out of wearing mask need to have a freakin clue. The game has changed!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Tue May 09, 2017 8:25 am

enjoy
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Tue May 09, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MrGeek » Tue May 09, 2017 10:57 am

Does anyone foresee NCAA or USA Softball enforcing a bat standard similar to the BBCOR standards in baseball? There is a definite problem when 10 year old girls that weigh 80 lbs are able to hit 200' bombs.
MrGeek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions