Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Coach feedback from camp

What's on your mind?

by bear6613 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:07 am

Hi all,

DD recently attended a D1 camp. Was a very well run camp. The coach gave DD very good feedback. Said DD was on their shortlist and would come see her this summer. I'm just wondering if anyone has had an experience with similar feedback and then the coach does not follow up. I know anything can happen in recruiting but I'm just trying to get a sense of other people's experiences.

Thanks.
bear6613

by Pale Rider » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 am

bear6613 wrote:Hi all,

DD recently attended a D1 camp. Was a very well run camp. The coach gave DD very good feedback. Said DD was on their shortlist and would come see her this summer. I'm just wondering if anyone has had an experience with similar feedback and then the coach does not follow up. I know anything can happen in recruiting but I'm just trying to get a sense of other people's experiences.

Thanks.

Only way to get a REAL feeling about that is if they do come...
The usual kiss of death is "thanks for coming...send us your schedule for the summer"
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Pale Rider wrote:

Thanks.

Only way to get a REAL feeling about that is if they do come...
The usual kiss of death is "thanks for coming...send us your schedule for the summer"

And then there is always "we'd like to see you again if the mother is hot" rule ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by UmpSteve » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks.

On a more serious note and response:

Your question is obviously too generic to get an answer that will help you. D1 coaches are a group of individual human beings with personalities and ethics ranging from A to Z. Some will tell the truth, some will lie to you with a straight face. It simply depends on who you are talking with.

If you want a helpful answer, you will likely have to ask about a specific individual, and name that name, or at least what school and what job title, to hear anything about experiences that might apply to your DD. You may need to ask for private messages or direct email contact to keep it from getting too personal.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by catcherzrule » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:14 pm

If it was Long Beach State...don't hold your breath. But, no big loss if they don't show anyway. :lol:
catcherzrule

by PDad » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:51 pm

bear6613 wrote:DD recently attended a D1 camp. Was a very well run camp. The coach gave DD very good feedback. Said DD was on their shortlist and would come see her this summer. I'm just wondering if anyone has had an experience with similar feedback and then the coach does not follow up. I know anything can happen in recruiting but I'm just trying to get a sense of other people's experiences.

I know it's easier said than done, but don't get consumed by waiting and wondering. Focus instead on what can be done to increase interest and prepare for making decision(s).
- Communicate to maintain/improve interest from that school and others.
- Academics - grades and test scores.
- Softball skills and general athleticism.
- Visit different types and sizes of colleges for comparison purposes to see what feels right.
- Identify non-softball school options to clarify softball goals and strategy.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 am

coaches say your DD is on their short list. if you & they are staying in connection via email or possibly phone calls then yes perhaps shortlist. If there's no communication interaction until summer then the list you are on is probably the list with all the other names who came to the camp and that might be in the circular file now.
From many past experience coaches communicating and following up with you is the best indicator of the real short list and that is only a few players per team (if only one or two possibly) per team for a season. While part of the year they cannot contact you after the camp they could have and before the summer's is in they can. keep in mind you can call them all year and if they pick up the phone a conversation can happen.if you are using a profile research tool on the internet they can view your biography numerous numerous times and in that way you will see they are continuing interest and they can do that year round.
Hinky

by curveballerguy124 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:39 am

In my experience the D1 coaches that were serious about any of my girls reached out to me directly not really the parents or for that matter the kids... They almost always had me set up a time to talk to my player on the phone to get a feel for them and asked me plenty of questions about them. But IMO the player neeeeds to reach out to the coach early and often stay in touch even if your player feels like she's bugging
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by E Train Dad » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 pm

REAL IMPORTANT!! Take fresh video's from your phone while at the games and have your DD keep sending them to the coach so you stay top of mind! They love to see video's of your DD's successes and progression. That is a real way to "Touch" the coach and keep you on the top of their mind and list!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by texassmallball » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:09 am

If you are wondering if the coach is interested and you have not heard from them...they are not.

Make no mistake, when a coach is really interested they make contact and stay in touch every way they can.

Be aggressive and hunt the school, cast a wide net. Don't wait for them.

Get good grades and test scores...unbelievably easier when you have these in your pocket.
texassmallball

Return to Fastpitch Discussions