Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitching Record - Win / loss

What's on your mind?

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:58 am

I have a pitching parent disgruntled over his DD getting the loss and another pitcher getting a win ... And frankly, I am not sure if I've ever done it correctly when there are multiple pitchers used in a game. How many innings ? Just earned runs ? Having the lead or not when removed ? Leads changing hands ? aarrgghhhhh ! This year I have 4 hurlers who are being used in situations and its getting complicated. Often all 4 are throwing in a game.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Pale Rider » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:pitching parent disgruntled .

Could have stopped right there 8-) :lol:
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:20 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I have a pitching parent disgruntled over his DD getting the loss and another pitcher getting a win ... And frankly, I am not sure if I've ever done it correctly when there are multiple pitchers used in a game. How many innings ? Just earned runs ? (no) Having the lead or not when removed ? Leads changing hands ? aarrgghhhhh ! This year I have 4 hurlers who are being used in situations and its getting complicated. Often all 4 are throwing in a game.

NFHS rules:

SECTION 6 PITCHER’S RECORD
ART. 6 . . . Winning and losing pitchers are determined as follows:
a. The starting pitcher is credited with a win in the following circumstances:
1. When she pitches at least half of the innings in the game and her team stays ahead for the remainder of the game.
2. When she pitches the required number of innings, her team is ahead or tied when she is replaced, she re-enters the game with her team behind, and her team subsequently recaptures the lead.
NOTE: A pitcher cannot receive credit for a save if she receives the win.

b. The relief pitcher is credited with a win in the following circumstances:
1. The starting pitcher did not pitch the required number of innings, or her team fell behind.
2. The relief pitcher who pitches most effectively after the starting pitcher did not pitch the required number of innings, more than one relief pitcher was used and the lead was never lost.
3. The relief pitcher was the pitcher of record when her team gained the lead and stayed in the lead.
4. A relief pitcher left the pitching position while the score was tied or her team was behind, and she re-entered as the pitcher and regained the lead.

c. If a pitcher is replaced by a pinch hitter or a pinch runner, the runs scored by the team during the inning of removal are to be credited to that pitcher’s benefit for deciding the pitcher of record when the team takes the lead.

d. A pitcher shall be charged with the loss when the team is behind or falls behind because of runs assessed to that pitcher and the team does not subsequently tie the score nor take the lead.

e. A pitcher cannot be given credit for pitching a shutout if the pitcher does not pitch the complete game, unless the player enters the game with no one out before the opponents have scored in the first inning and she does not permit the opposition to score during the game.

ART. 7 . . . In order for a pitcher to be credited with a save, she shall meet all three of the following criteria:
a. she is the last pitcher in a game won by her team; and
b. she is not the winning pitcher; and
c. she meets at least one of the following:
1. she enters the game with a lead of not more than three runs and pitches at least one inning; or
2. she enters the game, regardless of the count on the batter, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck; or
3. she pitches effectively for at least three innings.
NOTE: A starting pitcher who is replaced and then re-enters as pitcher can be credited with a win but not a save.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Hey PDad you left this out,

Article IV in disgruntled parent handbook 64:

1. A pitcher is credited with the win should the parent of said pitcher be the scorekeeper at the time the team took the lead no matter how many innings finished.

2. The same pitcher will be credited with the win if the team earns a victory even while she is on the bench.

NOTE: Team errors are directly proportional to the a scorekeeper's pitchers ERA. e.g. as errors rise, ERA lowers......etc.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm

eclipse09 wrote:Hey PDad you left this out,

1. A pitcher is credited with the win should the parent of said pitcher be the scorekeeper at the time the team took the lead no matter how many innings finished.

2. The same pitcher will be credited with the win if the team earns a victory even while she is on the bench.

NOTE: Team errors are directly proportional to the a scorekeeper's pitchers ERA. e.g. as errors rise, ERA lowers......etc.

Oh no, now you've opened Pandora's box.

- DD is not charged for her runners scoring if it's after being relieved mid-inning.

- DD gets the win if subsequent reliever(s) lose the lead and then team rallies back.

- DD isn't charged with the loss if another pitcher gave up more runs.

FWIW, I did some research on unearned runs and found they correlated more with ERA than #errors. My conclusion is pitchers with a higher ERA literally have no room for error.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eddiez577 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Tried explaining this to a 12u team once and I could literally hear their eyes roll back :lol:
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm

PDad wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:Hey PDad you left this out,

Oh no, now you've opened Pandora's box.

- DD is not charged for her runners scoring if it's after being relieved mid-inning.

- DD gets the win if subsequent reliever(s) lose the lead and then team rallies back.

- DD isn't charged with the loss if another pitcher gave up more runs.

FWIW, I did some research on unearned runs and found they correlated more with ERA than #errors. My conclusion is pitchers with a higher ERA literally have no room for error.

:lol: :lol:

I won't even bring up the situation where the scorekeeper is the parent of a hitter who is struggling....haha!!
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Heck, give the snowflakes all W's and no L's.
Besides, there are more important things in life, like marching while wearing pink vag hats to protest for rights they already have.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:01 am

PDad wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I have a pitching parent disgruntled over his DD getting the loss and another pitcher getting a win ... And frankly, I am not sure if I've ever done it correctly when there are multiple pitchers used in a game. How many innings ? Just earned runs ? (no) Having the lead or not when removed ? Leads changing hands ? aarrgghhhhh ! This year I have 4 hurlers who are being used in situations and its getting complicated. Often all 4 are throwing in a game.

NFHS rules:

SECTION 6 PITCHER’S RECORD
ART. 6 . . . Winning and losing pitchers are determined as follows:
a. The starting pitcher is credited with a win in the following circumstances:
1. When she pitches at least half of the innings in the game and her team stays ahead for the remainder of the game.
2. When she pitches the required number of innings, her team is ahead or tied when she is replaced, she re-enters the game with her team behind, and her team subsequently recaptures the lead.
NOTE: A pitcher cannot receive credit for a save if she receives the win.

b. The relief pitcher is credited with a win in the following circumstances:
1. The starting pitcher did not pitch the required number of innings, or her team fell behind.
2. The relief pitcher who pitches most effectively after the starting pitcher did not pitch the required number of innings, more than one relief pitcher was used and the lead was never lost.
3. The relief pitcher was the pitcher of record when her team gained the lead and stayed in the lead.
4. A relief pitcher left the pitching position while the score was tied or her team was behind, and she re-entered as the pitcher and regained the lead.

c. If a pitcher is replaced by a pinch hitter or a pinch runner, the runs scored by the team during the inning of removal are to be credited to that pitcher’s benefit for deciding the pitcher of record when the team takes the lead.

d. A pitcher shall be charged with the loss when the team is behind or falls behind because of runs assessed to that pitcher and the team does not subsequently tie the score nor take the lead.

e. A pitcher cannot be given credit for pitching a shutout if the pitcher does not pitch the complete game, unless the player enters the game with no one out before the opponents have scored in the first inning and she does not permit the opposition to score during the game.

ART. 7 . . . In order for a pitcher to be credited with a save, she shall meet all three of the following criteria:
a. she is the last pitcher in a game won by her team; and
b. she is not the winning pitcher; and
c. she meets at least one of the following:
1. she enters the game with a lead of not more than three runs and pitches at least one inning; or
2. she enters the game, regardless of the count on the batter, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck; or
3. she pitches effectively for at least three innings.
NOTE: A starting pitcher who is replaced and then re-enters as pitcher can be credited with a win but not a save.

Thanks, I suppose I could have looked that up myself but this always seems like more fun.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 am

as the world turns wrote:Heck, give the snowflakes all W's and no L's.
Besides, there are more important things in life, like marching while wearing pink vag hats to protest for rights they already have.

Are the other guys in your cell block laughing at your wiener again ?
GIMNEPIWO

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions