Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Skills Video

What's on your mind?

by Hurricane » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:44 pm

That's great! Congrats to your DD.

But what about the plethora of DD's who are not quite at the D1 Power-5 level?

From what I've read here, those first looks at a Skills Video will begin the conversation with a prospect. From there, sure, Pro-Go snippets of actual game footage will then feed the fire with interested coaches.
Hurricane

by CalRays.org » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:25 pm

Just my opinion....

No music. Preferably 1 minute, no longer than 1.5 minutes long. Very quick intro or stat page to begin the video. 4 or 5 swings from the side view. If it's BP footage, do not watch the ball after it is hit. Some game footage is good. Make sure to have routine grounders in the video, so the coaches can see the player's footwork. Too often the infield plays in skills videos are diving plays. The coach needs to see your fundamentals up close. Show a strong throwing arm.
CalRays.org

by E Train Dad » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:10 pm

JMHO, Coaches have short attention spans....like all of us! When they see something, they see it right away! I had my DD go through a whole professional video, but the reality for her.....she got recruited for her bat!...... I videoed here at bat's, amateur at best, and bad videos, thru a fence, but you can see the hit's and results! Coaches like to be updated all the time with videos of recent successes! She's committed, and we still send updates as they want to stay engaged with their commits! In Fairness, at the time, she was a pitcher, now a back up pitcher and 1st base, batting in the 4 spot. Like someone else said here, you have to conform to your daughters strengths and position. If she is just a pitcher or catcher, the prime video is key! Focus on what is going to get her recruited! Be realistic! Listen to your travel coach....assuming an 18U coach with recruiting experience!

Last point......Coaches like to see gametime situations vs. staged situations! I know if I was a coach, I would too! Seen some girls that tryout really well, then you get them in a game and it's an entirely different person! Reality is these coaches are looking for the best athletes on the field, if they need to teach them how to play Top level Softball, then so be it, they are looking for athletes first! Make sure your video show's she's an athlete first!!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Under the Radar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:46 am

Skills video is one of the single most important things you can do for your player / Daughter.

That being said if you do not do anything with it, you will not get anything from it & you wasted your money.

Secondly do not send the video from your daughter or as a parent. Your coach needs to send it out on your behalf & have some good things to say about you. I have sent out with help of a program written by a friend emails to every single college that has a softball program in one shot. The response was amazing. Some of the Schools are willing to give $$$ just based on the video alone.

You can reach out to me if you want more info or any help.

Thank you
Radar,.,,,
Under the Radar
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BB2830 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:15 am

Get a Go Pro and take game footage. College coaches want to see what your DD can do in live situations. Our daughter sent video directly to college coaches, not a week before the big showcases but throughout the Fall and the HS season her Freshman year and come Zoom into June (CA) the coaches showed up. Started the Fall of her Freshman year through the HS season and come summer they were there. I would also HIGHLY recommend Fastpitch Scout as it is reasonably priced and allows you to send emails to your entire group of desired colleges without having to do them individually. There is only so much time you can expect 14-16 year olds to spend sending e-mails. Also lets you see who visited your player's page, how long they spent looking at video, profiles, schedules and what they reviewed. I cannot tell you how valuable this was in our daughter's recruiting process. The analytics are awesome.

I also think back to our trips to D9, Colorado, etc. and unless you are playing on a team that is on the right fields you could take that $6K+ and attend 30 or 40 targeted college camps, if you choose the right ones, and if the talent is there you have a better chance of getting in front of the coaches you actually want to play for.
BB2830

by PairOfAces » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 am

BB2830 wrote:Get a Go Pro and take game footage. College coaches want to see what your DD can do in live situations. Our daughter sent video directly to college coaches, not a week before the big showcases but throughout the Fall and the HS season her Freshman year and come Zoom into June (CA) the coaches showed up. Started the Fall of her Freshman year through the HS season and come summer they were there. I would also HIGHLY recommend Fastpitch Scout as it is reasonably priced and allows you to send emails to your entire group of desired colleges without having to do them individually. There is only so much time you can expect 14-16 year olds to spend sending e-mails. Also lets you see who visited your player's page, how long they spent looking at video, profiles, schedules and what they reviewed. I cannot tell you how valuable this was in our daughter's recruiting process. The analytics are awesome.

I also think back to our trips to D9, Colorado, etc. and unless you are playing on a team that is on the right fields you could take that $6K+ and attend 30 or 40 targeted college camps, if you choose the right ones, and if the talent is there you have a better chance of getting in front of the coaches you actually want to play for.

Nice post. We also use Fastpitch Scout and find it very effective. And I have taken my DD to a few camps (local) and much prefer that to going with a middle of the road team all the way to CO and certainly D9. A weekend trip from So Cal to Florida is not my idea of money well spent, but to each his own.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions