Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Skills Video

What's on your mind?

by Fastpitch4Life » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:35 am

Looking for opinions on spending $400-$500 for a "professional" skills video as a recruiting tool. Worth the money based upon your experience in getting your DD recruited? Thanks!
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Many factors to consider.
I think the 2 biggest are
1. Where she wants to go, do they come to events she plays in. If not then video and camps will have to be utilized to get her seen.
2. Who does she play for. Do they have the contacts to get her a look. Again, if not then you have to be more proactive.

Thanks. Makes total sense.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BB2830 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:47 pm

I would invest in a GoPro or similar and start collecting video moments from live games showcasing her offensive and defensive skills and strengths.
BB2830

by PDad » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:46 pm

I know of a SoCal player that was recruited by a NE school that never saw her in person, just on video.

My 2 cents is a good professional video is better early in the process. Amateur game footage can be useful for interested schools that can't watch her play much in person.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 2lo2go » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:59 am

I think it depends on position you DD plays, have had college coaches ask for pitchers videos but not for position player/hitters

Most videos show highlights from a day of filming which wouldn't capture how a kid can adjust to a pitcher in an at bat, or situational hitting.
2lo2go
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 4th & Forever » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:04 pm

Some good points made above for sure. The one piece of advise I would give is be sure you have your Coach or an independent instructor look at the footage prior to sending it out. More kids are eliminated from lists (or not put on them at all) based off of bad footage. Most footage I send to schools consists of about 30 second clips so that there isn't too much to pick apart but "wet their appetite".

Also if you are putting up a time (pop, home to 1st, etc.) on the video be sure the time is accurate. You can put a stop watch to a video.
4th & Forever
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WhoMe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Couple points if you do a video.

Unless you are a pitcher and maybe a catcher, start with hitting first. If the hitting looks great they will be more forgiving when viewing the defensive portion of the video.

Even if your DD plays certain positions understand really what she is in the eyes of the college coach. A catcher without much speed does not need to waste video time on OF reps in the video.

Don't add slow mo, they can do that if they need to but if you do it then it is just annoying for them. If you add music realize it is just for your own benefit, coaches will mute the video.

If you are looking for an easier less expensive option to a $400-500 video then, create a youtube account, put short snippets from games, hitting lessons etc on the channel. Make it private (not password only) but not searchable. This way you can share the links in your emails to coaches. The great thing about doing it this way is they can see a chronological progression which can be helpful.

Just my 2 cents but has worked pretty well for the players I have worked with on recruiting.
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WhoMe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:11 pm

4th & Forever wrote:Some good points made above for sure. The one piece of advise I would give is be sure you have your Coach or an independent instructor look at the footage prior to sending it out. More kids are eliminated from lists (or not put on them at all) based off of bad footage. Most footage I send to schools consists of about 30 second clips so that there isn't too much to pick apart but "wet their appetite".

Also if you are putting up a time (pop, home to 1st, etc.) on the video be sure the time is accurate. You can put a stop watch to a video.

What, all those 2.6 H to 1st aren't accurate :lol: Great points though, especially if you are dropping $400+, you should get a chance to review before the final cut.
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:41 am

I have no financial interest, but from what I've seen on HeyBucket is that Williams' Video provides a very professional video package for the girls. Price is very reasonable and Williams' knows the sport and knows how to make all the girls look good at what they do.
Hurricane

by toyota44 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:08 pm

My daughter compiled videos from my go pro and it works. She verbally committed on her Sophomore year, Last year. SEC. Coaches are not looking for video perfection, They are looking for Best Player...
toyota44
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions