Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Realistic question...

What's on your mind?

by Pale Rider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:17 am

Have a question, and I somewhat know the answer.
At what age would you start pushing mechanics?
I mean as far as formal instruction?

I dont remember when I encouraged mine to really start learning 'how to' mechanics as far as throwing, batting etc...
Had to be 7-8 I guess...I do remember that about 10 we STOPPED hitting without a protective net for me to hide behind on short toss
Co-worker friend has a young lad, who is 6 and just starting baseball somewhat seriously... I DID school on how to NOT BE THAT DAD...and keep it fun...and yes, I am a recovering Dad in the THAT GUY dept.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:10 am

I think mechanics almost starts like day 1. Slowly forsure but as your teaching a kid to throw or hit u r already starting with positive feedback. ?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Pale Rider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:52 am

NumeroUno wrote:I think mechanics almost starts like day 1. Slowly forsure but as your teaching a kid to throw or hit u r already starting with positive feedback. ?

Buddies boy is just getting started and seems to like it a lot...Kids like things better when they're good at it. IMHO mechanics are imperative...Good mechanics then fundamentals, then fine tuning so they work together
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Nicelag » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:20 pm

I started teaching my DD fundamentals at the beginning. When I started coaching my DD's 8U team I started fundamental based instruction for the whole team. I got some blowback from the parents at the beginning saying that they were too young for it, but my philosophy is if they can learn it wrong why can't they learn it right. I also approach it in the fashion that I teach offensive and defensive fundamentals so they don't get hurt. Being a better player is a byproduct of that. In the end the parents were very happy.

In my opinion it's much easier to teach reasonably correct mechanics in the beginning than correct years of bad habits, which can ultimately lead to injuries, down the road. My DD's travel ball team, and others I know, have been battling numerous arm and shoulder injuries since 10U. It's crazy the number of injuries I have seen, and to have these types of injuries at this age is not good. I must also say many injuries are related to bad mechanics.

I don't think you can start teaching mechanics or fundamentals to early. Don't get me wrong, you don't have to get totally hard core with it, but rest assured it you don't teach it nobody else will either. Especially at the younger levels.
Nicelag

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Pitching or throwing teach them the right mechanics from day one absolutely imperative so that they stay safe and they develop a strong base!! Hitting I say teach them the general idea and let them develop a natural swing then fine tune it as they develop.... thats my .02
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Have a question, and I somewhat know the answer.

A lot depends on how motivated the player is to learn and work on it between lessons. Someone needs to facilitate that work, however they shouldn't have to badger the player to do it. Weekly lessons without working on it in between is often an expensive activity with little payback.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 am

PDad wrote:

A lot depends on how motivated the player is to learn and work on it between lessons. Someone needs to facilitate that work, however they shouldn't have to badger the player to do it. Weekly lessons without working on it in between is often an expensive activity with little payback.

His kid is just starting...I told him a good way to measure his desire was if the kid asked Dad to throw / hit with him...
I can honestly say I NEVER made mine go do it...Seen too many Dads force their kids to practice and made the kid hate it ...I sorta miss..."Hey Dad, you wanna go throw?"
Still get to do it occasionally...I enjoy it immensely :D

But my shoulder doesnt ;)
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
PDad wrote:

His kid is just starting...I told him a good way to measure his desire was if the kid asked Dad to throw / hit with him...
I can honestly say I NEVER made mine go do it...Seen too many Dads force their kids to practice and made the kid hate it ...I sorta miss..."Hey Dad, you wanna go throw?"
Still get to do it occasionally...I enjoy it immensely :D

But my shoulder doesnt ;)

Same here PR, btw, nice homer against Auburn by your DD, I got to see the replay of it. But yea, same here, "Hey pop, hit me some grounders ?" or "Catch for me ?" yep, I do miss it. Come on granddaughters. Next one is not due until July, but I am not going to be a crazy grandpa. I am going to wait to get her a glove - until I see whether she is a rightie or a leftie. And her hitting coach will be her aunt or her mom, depending on power hit or slapper - so ..... yea ok - I am not going to be a crazy grandpa. (100 times).
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:31 am

DonnieS wrote:Same here PR, btw, nice homer against Auburn by your DD, I got to see the replay of it. But yea, same here, "Hey pop, hit me some grounders ?" or "Catch for me ?" yep, I do miss it. Come on granddaughters. Next one is not due until July, but I am not going to be a crazy grandpa. I am going to wait to get her a glove - until I see whether she is a rightie or a leftie. And her hitting coach will be her aunt or her mom, depending on power hit or slapper - so ..... yea ok - I am not going to be a crazy grandpa. (100 times).

I was gonna ask you when that Grand young'un was coming up to bat ...I forsee a 5 tool, switch hitter with a 74mph fastball, 42 mph change and a filthy drop curve ;)
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 13, 2017 4:51 am

Pale Rider wrote:
DonnieS wrote:Same here PR, btw, nice homer against Auburn by your DD, I got to see the replay of it. But yea, same here, "Hey pop, hit me some grounders ?" or "Catch for me ?" yep, I do miss it. Come on granddaughters. Next one is not due until July, but I am not going to be a crazy grandpa. I am going to wait to get her a glove - until I see whether she is a rightie or a leftie. And her hitting coach will be her aunt or her mom, depending on power hit or slapper - so ..... yea ok - I am not going to be a crazy grandpa. (100 times).

I was gonna ask you when that Grand young'un was coming up to bat ...I forsee a 5 tool, switch hitter with a 74mph fastball, 42 mph change and a filthy drop curve ;)

Careful Guys, she may like soccer ... I hear it's a sport now :roll:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions