What's on your mind?

by eclipse09 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:I recommend reading all of the heybucket classic posts and pay close attention to the following HB posters including Skarp, Sam, Numero Uno, Spaz, Pdad, Fpdad05, arto, blind squirrel, GIMNEPIWO, jtat, tb, hurricane, Pale Rider, jonriv, as the world turns, Donnie S, etc (I am leaving out a few others).

That will give you plenty of variety in opinions and information moving forward. Hope you enjoy the Pole Barn thread!

Well since we are speaking of pitchers, how about Ray-Ray? :lol: That dad got some pub! :roll:

Ray Ray is a classic and must read! :lol:

Tntcoachtom add Fastpitch4Life to the group I mentioned above. ;)

Didn't mean to hijack this post, but if anyone's got a pic of a polebarn used as a practice field/hitting cage, it's a good-to-know for us So Cal'ers.

That must be before my time. What the heck is a "polebarn"?

You will need to set aside some time, but it is a good read.

viewtopic.php?t=537

E09:
I was just glad that I didn't post anything stupid on that 37 page novel, but then again, I may have incorrectly searched for my stupid posts and found none. Since I have a very short attention span, I couldn't get through all the pages but there are some classic lines by some HOF HB contributors that no longer grace us with their presence.

Yup some classic stuff there. I think a lot of the next generation of HB learned from some of these posts. Kudos to Spaz or maybe Pdad who started the classics!
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:47 pm

eclipse09 wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:I recommend reading all of the heybucket classic posts and pay close attention to the following HB posters including Skarp, Sam, Numero Uno, Spaz, Pdad, Fpdad05, arto, blind squirrel, GIMNEPIWO, jtat, tb, hurricane, Pale Rider, jonriv, as the world turns, Donnie S, etc (I am leaving out a few others).

That will give you plenty of variety in opinions and information moving forward. Hope you enjoy the Pole Barn thread!

Well since we are speaking of pitchers, how about Ray-Ray? :lol: That dad got some pub! :roll:

Ray Ray is a classic and must read! :lol:

Tntcoachtom add Fastpitch4Life to the group I mentioned above. ;)

Didn't mean to hijack this post, but if anyone's got a pic of a polebarn used as a practice field/hitting cage, it's a good-to-know for us So Cal'ers.

That must be before my time. What the heck is a "polebarn"?

You will need to set aside some time, but it is a good read.

viewtopic.php?t=537

E09:
I was just glad that I didn't post anything stupid on that 37 page novel, but then again, I may have incorrectly searched for my stupid posts and found none. Since I have a very short attention span, I couldn't get through all the pages but there are some classic lines by some HOF HB contributors that no longer grace us with their presence.

Yup some classic stuff there. I think a lot of the next generation of HB learned from some of these posts. Kudos to Spaz or maybe Pdad who started the classics!

Haven't seen this many shades of gray for a while!
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tntcoachtom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:23 pm

by eclipse09 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:16 pm
I recommend reading all of the heybucket classic posts and pay close attention to the following HB posters including Skarp, Sam, Numero Uno, Spaz, Pdad, Fpdad05, arto, blind squirrel, GIMNEPIWO, jtat, tb, hurricane, Pale Rider, jonriv, as the world turns, Donnie S, etc (I am leaving out a few others).

Thanks. Homework. I like it. I will check it out as well as Fastpitch4life.
Tntcoachtom

by Tntcoachtom » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:09 pm

Well, I did some more research. Finally found the right key words. This is what I came up with.

http://usaeliteselect.com/usaes/select30
Tntcoachtom

by PDad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:38 pm

(biting my tongue)
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:04 am

Tntcoachtom wrote:Well, I did some more research. Finally found the right key words. This is what I came up with.

http://usaeliteselect.com/usaes/select30

It sounds like you, and maybe your DD, love the game of softball and have big hopes and dreams and that is great. From my experience thus far concerning camps, it's kinda like if you have the $$, they have the camp. From OnDeck to PGF to Triple Crown and all the college instructional and prospect identification camps, you can spend about as much $$ as you want to have your 13 year old in front of someone, but that's a personal choice and no one on this board can tell you how to spend your money. I think you need a few more years going through the process to see if your DD is really up to the challenge of excelling at each level along the way. Moving from a middle level travel team to an "elite" team that threatens at nationals. Playing against the best and holding your own, etc. As a previous poster said, if your DD has that kind of talent, they will find her. Everyone is looking for a top flight pitcher.
Have some fun along the way and make sure your DD is up for the long haul. Best of luck!
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:50 am

PDad wrote:(biting my tongue)

Really?? I'm sure you have differing thoughts about this topic and that prior post.

The only organization that can truthfully claim to have an agreement with the US National teams for identifying talent is Softball Factory. They run camps and tournaments all around the country. That said, there can be many other (and possibly better) ways to get on the radar screen.

It can easily be thought that players that have been identified by the current coaches of the National teams seem to have a jump on others. You might consider camps being run by those individuals. Yeah, you can attend other camps they are listed to attend, but they are more likely to beg off and be replaced if it is someone else's camp.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tntcoachtom » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Looks good. Thanks for the thoughts and advice.
Tntcoachtom

by PDad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:24 pm

UmpSteve wrote:
PDad wrote:(biting my tongue)

Really?? I'm sure you have differing thoughts about this topic and that prior post.
Why bother? I expressed my thoughts on page 2 and he kept looking for the magic bullet. FTR, I think FP4L did a great job of tactfully saying what I was thinking.

The only organization that can truthfully claim to have an agreement with the US National teams for identifying talent is Softball Factory. They run camps and tournaments all around the country. That said, there can be many other (and possibly better) ways to get on the radar screen.
Softball Factory was displaced by JO Cup as supposedly being "the" way to be "identified". Neither has played a significant role with JWNT nor any role with WNT. Looks like Softball Factory has refocused their marketing on college exposure. IMO. it's just another money grab that preys on parents like the OP.

It can easily be thought that players that have been identified by the current coaches of the National teams seem to have a jump on others. You might consider camps being run by those individuals. Yeah, you can attend other camps they are listed to attend, but they are more likely to beg off and be replaced if it is someone else's camp.

As others have posted, players have to establish themselves as excelling against the best. They'll be recognized/recruited by top TB teams and college programs to compete against the best. Making the Olympic Team comes after excelling against the best in college and probably NPF.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tntcoachtom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Not looking for a magic bullet. Just looking for camps, tournaments or other events that may be designed to develop Olympic exposure. What I've seen so far is the USA Select30 camp http://usaeliteselect.com/usaes/select30. And In response to what Umpsteve said about Softball Factory their National Tryout may be worth considering. http://www.softballfactory.com/tryouts/

My first question was about the process and I like the answers. My follow up question is more specific though.

by Tntcoachtom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:54 am
Thanks guys for the informative answers. We're already moving in that direction. She has a great pitching coach and travel ball coach. Now, I see college showcases, ODM's and RTA's. All of these things point to get the attention of college recruiters. Are there showcases or tournaments that Team USA would be looking at for recruiting purposes?

That being said, does anyone body know of any other events that they believe can be or can lead to Olympic exposure?
Tntcoachtom

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions