Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Help! My DD quit travel softball.

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:42 am

Pale Rider wrote:I foresee The Closers kid wheeling The Closer into a chitty nursing home someday ;)

The Closer is a troll. Nobody could be that stupid.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:24 am

Sam wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:I foresee The Closers kid wheeling The Closer into a chitty nursing home someday ;)

I dunno...Ive seen some parents do crap like that...Seen parents threaten kids over performance...
Ever seen a kid 'whiff' at a pitch and first thing they do is find their Dad in the crowd?
I told a Dad one time who was an ass to his kid..."Glaring at, making faces at, yelling at your kid does NOT help...They dont 'whiff' on purpose..."
Hindsight is always 20/20...I KNOW theres some things I would have done different...like push golf
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 am

Pale Rider wrote:
Sam wrote:

I dunno...Ive seen some parents do crap like that...Seen parents threaten kids over performance...
Ever seen a kid 'whiff' at a pitch and first thing they do is find their Dad in the crowd?
I told a Dad one time who was an ass to his kid..."Glaring at, making faces at, yelling at your kid does NOT help...They dont 'whiff' on purpose..."
Hindsight is always 20/20...I KNOW theres some things I would have done different...like push golf

You and me both.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softball65 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:52 am

I have 2 girls, same age playing ball since 4 years old. At the 12U level one of the girls decided she liked softball but not enough to do the work required to be good. We too said, find something because sitting around ain't gonna cut it. She tried different things, including softball again for a short period, but she is done.

The other DD has had a fire in her belly and is driven to be the best.....

Say this to say, if the fire isn't there, not much you can do.....I was disappointed too, because I thought the DD who quit was actually the more athletic of the 2, naturally.

They have to find their way, and sometimes.....often actually....its not the way we'd go. What to do? Hug her, tell you you love her, and will support whatever constructive thing she does that makes her happy!
softball65

by TheCloser » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:04 am

Better yet, I told my kids don't worry about me worry about yourselves once you're out of the house. In this day and age when 30 year olds are still living with mom and dad I just need them out without me having to spend thousands annually on travel sports and be forced to take vacations in "beautiful" Montgomery, Alabama with 100% humidity. :D
I don't believe in fate, I believe in odds!
TheCloser

by TheCloser » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 am

Pale Rider wrote:
Sam wrote:

I don't like waking up and going to work every day either but it's a part of life. A lot of these girls that quit especially in this case as her parent describes is pretty good but is tired of missing Little Bobby's parties on the weekend. I repeat 12 year old girls don't know what they want, it's a weird age. If your kid has college level talent make her play, she'll get over it and thank you later. If she doesn't, let her quit she's wasting your time and money. :lol:
I don't believe in fate, I believe in odds!
TheCloser

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:16 pm

If the kid wants to move on then let her move on its a shame when it happens but its all part of it.... I've been coaching a long time and have seen my share of talented players quit softball. It usually happens when they get in the 15-17 range I've noticed, the parties, hangouts, bonfires they do miss out on all that. Its the price paid for chasing the infamous college scholarship thing, that, well, isn't always guaranteed!!!

Both my daughters thank God are still playing, one is in college and the other is a junior in high school she is already committed D1 however, she is taking a semester off to focus on school and maybe take a little break for at least the HS season and at this stage I think we are ok with that. Because being off of softball and just training makes her miss games just a little bit and that a good thing.

I do believe breaks are important and keeping it fun is a big deal some parents I think lose sight of that and at the end of the day it really is just a game. Maybe I was just one of those parents that got lucky with my kids never quitting softball or maybe the fact that I drilled into them that quitting anything was never ok, at least until you have followed that anything as far as you could to see where it takes you...... Who knows, kids are strange but one thing is for sure if you push your kid too hard one of 2 things is gonna happen! Good luck
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRiders » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:56 pm

My girls have been playing TB for a yr and a half. I help coach the team and I am a lot like you describe yourself. I talk to my kids about the games and take opportunities to teach them how to handle certain situations on the field. While I will let them know their mistakes, I always try to encourage them and help them understand how to better themselves on the field. I have never raised my voice to them on the field or off and am positive that they know that I am proud of them as players no matter the outcome. My kids have always been willing to put in the work on their own and in practice to try and get better and always seem genuinely excited to go to park with me to practice on our own. With that said, one of my daughters has recently mentioned to me that she is unhappy with her current team and is thinking about leaving. After the initial shock, I realized that all the practice we were doing was for her best interest and that if I really was thinking of her best interests I had to accept the fact that she might be done playing. It suddenly dawned on me that all those times I was taking them to the park to practice that it wasn’t about them getting better it was about them spending time with their Dad. I love softball very much and can only hope my girls continue to play, but I will always cherish these times together and will dedicate myself to finding the next thing we can do together
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 am

I agree with the idea that if the passion is not there then maybe it is time to quit. I also know that 15-17 year olds tend to make poor life choices. It is important for parents to be Parents. It is always important to ask Why and to find the root cause.

There was someone who had posted once that their daughter could quit, but only to do do something else(another sport, a job, school club etc..) Doing nothing or just partying was not an option.

My Dad had a simple rule for my brother and I - We hd to be doing something and or going somewhere-just "hanging out" was not an option. For he believed(and I do too) that a group of teenagers just "hanging ou" usually do not come up with good things to do and that's when bad things happen
jonriv

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions