Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Possibly Starting a new Travel Team, need opinions?

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:37 pm

Are you nuts???? You gotta do it for the money or forget it!!!!!! Loooong pause......... Lets see how many parents get heated over that comment!!!???!?

Hahaha, ok just kidding I commend you for being crazy enough to deal with SB parents and as far as instruction goes I let them go to their own hitting instructors because its not worth the debate in most cases. Fielding as well there are several different schools of thought on fielding (only one being correct) but again not worth the debate with parents.... Then there is pitching well lets not get me started on that one!!!! So what do I do as a coach not much really, smile wave and sit on a bucket and on occasion take a kid off the lineup for no good reason....Tuff job I know!!

In all seriousness, if your going to do it good luck but do it with an open mind times have changed and so has the game. Im starting to see more former men's fastpitch players like myself get into coaching. The more that happens the more the game will evolve into the type of game the men play, faster, more aggressive, and more movement in the pitches I think its a matter of time. I hope at least because I cannot wait for the day I hear a kid say "they have a rise ball" and it actually is a rise ball!!! Now, before parents start screaming there are a few kids I have seen that can somewhat throw a decent rise ball but the vast majority cannot, that needs to change!!

OK, well the coaching world welcomes new enthusiastic blood, a new coach in it for the right reasons!! Be a student of the game a motivator someone to bring out the best in your players.... But do not become a blowhard loud mouth know-it-all there are already too many of those clowns out there!! See ya across the diamond coach.....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRiders » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 pm

The unbelievable increase in the unwritten rule that TB players must attend these private lessons with instructors is insane especially when that unwritten rule comes from within your own organization. Private lessons have become Big Business and a means to determine which players are “dedicated” to getting a scholarship and which are not. My girls play 12u for a “Big” SoCal organization where private lessons within the organization can determine playing time as well as whether or not they are pushed forward in the recruiting process. Listening to your experience and your thoughts is refreshing but I do think things are different now. I will say from being in TB, in a Big organization since fall season of 2nd yr 10u, that are a ton of players and families that are not “crazed” about getting their kids college scholarships by taking these over priced private lessons and would welcome a team and coach that has the sole goal of making my kid better and not trying to take my money with the empty promise of playing in college.
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions