Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

opinions needed

What's on your mind?

by Kat » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:50 am

I have a question that needs some opinions. As you guys might remember we have a new coach. (High school Ball). I was on the committee to pick new head coach.

I had hoped his tryouts would be less standing in line and more action but its not the worst thing in the world.

I have approached him with fixing our circle, batters box, catcher's box, the lip in the outfield etc. He has been alright with all of my suggestions. I got the AD to throw the money in for the clay bricks etc. I am happy, he is happy.

I also volunteered to bring out equipment, lazer, tractor, backhoe (we work in construction) to help fix the field. I also rounded up several volunteer parents to come help work on these items. I felt it important to include all the parents.

But the coach seems to have appointed one parent whose dd will make the team this year but wasn't on the varsity last year. (this coach was JV coach last year this girl was one of his favorites, the dad gave a recommendation letter for him to be head coach.) Anyhow he seems to steer towards this one parent helping him on the field exclusively. At tryouts many parents approached me and they feel left out not working on the field and of course they feel apprehensive about him only including one parent to help on the field. I think the coach is being silly personally, heck invite as many parents as you can to help on the field, be happy you have lots of volunteers personally. They want me to approach him about it. I am at a loss here. They know i have a good relationship with the AD so they thought maybe if I called the AD and explained what was going on that he could give the new coach a little guidance on the do's and don't of being a head coach and working with parents. I don't want a target on my DD's back for going to the AD but I also don't want drama and the coach be unawares because he is a new head coach. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!
Kat

by Tucson » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:03 pm

I would just tell the coach to "let me know if there is anything I and the volunteers can do," then see what happens. The coach obviously has his own plan.
Tucson

by dittoz » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:50 pm

"At tryouts many parents approached me and they feel left out not working on the field "

I want to know where this utopia-like place is that parents are upset when they cannot do volunteer work on the fields! Man! If I ever had a situation like that, I'll know I've died and gone to heaven!
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by hotwheels » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:03 pm

I agree with you, I can't believe how many people on the team have weddings to go, funerals to attend, etc. every time the subject comes up for field maintenance!!!
hotwheels

by Judd » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:07 pm

If the fields get fixed, then no biggie

I heard a conversation the other night that brought new insight. Seems like some coaches dont want contact with the parents, especially in HS. Guess they dont want to be put in an awkward situation when a kid doesnt play or something. I heard some bragging about one coach who has had only 2 conversations with parents in 2 years

Does this one parent have a pole barn?
Judd

by Kat » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:16 pm

Judd wrote:If the fields get fixed, then no biggie

I heard a conversation the other night that brought new insight. Seems like some coaches dont want contact with the parents, especially in HS. Guess they dont want to be put in an awkward situation when a kid doesnt play or something. I heard some bragging about one coach who has had only 2 conversations with parents in 2 years

Does this one parent have a pole barn?

ROFLMAO no pole barn
Kat

Return to Fastpitch Discussions