Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

pitcher ankle problem

What's on your mind?

by papabearo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:31 am

Here is a question for all you pitcher's parents or sports trainers. I have a girl that has been pitching for about seven years. She has recently started complaining about pain around the ankle joint of her push off foot. (right foot since she is a right handed). We are going to take her to the doctor but I was just curious if you folks have experienced something like this.
papabearo

by FPdaddy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:00 pm

1) Does she experience this pain only when pitching, or does this ankle hurt during other physical activities such as running or jumping?

2) How old is she?

3) Does she participate in a good, year-round training program?

4) Is there swelling around the ankle?

5) Did the symptoms come on gradually or rapidly?

6) Is she able to pitch through the discomfort?

7) Does she play other sports?

8) Does the pain begin with the onset of pitching or does it come on after awhile?

9) Does she have a history of ankle sprains to the affected ankle?

This is a partial list of questions the doc will ask. Obviously, you will NOT get a definitive answer here. The list of differential diagnoses is long and somewhat dependent on whether there is previous trauma.

Let us know the outcome.

Keith
FPdaddy

by papabearo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks for responding FPdaddy. She said the pain happens with all activities. It doesn't start immediately.(ie: Today she ran the mile in P.E. but the pain didn't start until half way through) She iced after and got her ankle taped before practice and she said it helped alot. She is 15 years old. She isn't involved in a year long training program. Her travel coach did a great job of conditioning though. She lost about 20 lbs. during Fall. There is no visual swelling. She does pitch through the discomfort. She doesn't play other sports. She hurt it about a year ago while sliding but recovered fine. I did find out today the pain started when we changed from rubber molded cleats to rubber interchangable cleats. I'm going to go back to the molded cleats to see if things improve. She said today the ankle felt like when you have to crack a knuckle. She moved her ankle , it cracked a little and felt a little better. Thanks again, Papabearo
papabearo

by FPdaddy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:46 pm

You need an MRI...do not understimate the previous injury!

Based on the info you supplied, I would have the doc rule out an osteochondral lesion/defect of the talar dome. The "need" to crack the joint and other symptoms are consistent with damage to the cartilage surface of the talus. This will not show up on plain x-rays.

Best of luck!

Keith
FPdaddy

by papabearo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:26 pm

Thanks Keith, will do. Ray
papabearo

Return to Fastpitch Discussions