Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitching coach Standards

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:04 pm

Your description sounds spot on except you neglected to mention a strong leg drive is what began everything..
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Agreed. I was exploring your views on hip rotation.

You might do some googling on windmill pitching external to internal shoulder rotation.
Mark H

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:27 pm

Spot on Mark!! However, I'm assuming you were describing the chain of events after the initial leg drive, correct?
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:20 pm

I was exploring your 1 through 5 points. Additionally one thing I ask pitching instructors is what they know about the role of external to internal shoulder rotation in fp pitching. That and the kinetic chain as relates to hip sequencing tells me something about who has done their research.

A common thing I hear from instructors is to get forward when throwing the drop. What are your thoughts?
Mark H

by Chin Music » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 pm

Former Men's pitcher vs Video watcher. Interesting read.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:10 pm

When I started studying pitching and hitting gurus when my kids started playing, I found they all disagreed with each other. So I started studying video of the best and comparing it to what various gurus and instructors taught. Ended up being taught a few things about biomechanics and physics along the way. I keep asking questions. Hopefully I find myself wrong on something and gain some knowledge. But I quit caring about resume a long time ago when I found the big resumes often thought the other big resumes were wrong. I quit caring about resume when I compared what the elite athlete said to video of what he/she actually did and found big differences. That's been my path. Best wishes on yours.
Mark H

by Mark H » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:29 pm

Chin Music wrote:Former Men's pitcher vs Video watcher. Interesting read.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softbal ... sroom.html

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softbal ... ation.html

If you need a resume, here you go.
Mark H

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:35 pm

Lol, Chin.....

Mark honestly, I could not discuss the chain of events that occur during a pitch bio-mechanically but I do know what it feels like and how it feels when its done correctly and what the ball does when its thrown correctly or incorrectly. I've tried EVERY pitching method you can imagine trying to perfect my throwing technique. What I have found over the years is throwing underhand is a lot like throwing overhand just in reverse. The same principles apply (for the most part) the biggest indicator for me that I was doing it right was nothing hurt... If my shoulder hurt I was obviously doing something wrong because nothing should hurt!!! Don't get me wrong you will fatigue that's normal but your shoulder should not ache or give you discomfort.

Ok, as for finishing forward I try and finish upright not forward with ALL my pitches if you finish forward on your drop ball then all you are doing is tipping your pitch to a savvy batter. What I learned quick, fast and in a hurry in mens fastpitch is you cannot tip your pitches or you are done!! Once a team picks your pitch your catcher might as well be yelling out what pitch is coming next....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Can't disagree with any of that. If you want to explore the biomechanics of the role of external to internal rotation I think you will likely find it bolstering your intuitive positions reached by personal experimentation. If you want to explore the biomechanical and ballistic reasons you are right for not getting forward on your drop (in addition to your stated reason) I'd be happy to discuss that.
Mark H

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions